Type S mortar and coping questions for a pool remodel

KRWebster01

Jun 1, 2021
Michigan
I've been working on a complete tile/coping stone repair job since the end of last season. Last fall was all about removing the old and prepping the bond beam for the new. This season I'm adding the new material. Waterline tile is in (Laticrete 254) and grouted (Laticrete pro premium epoxy) and I'm getting ready to lay down Type S mortar between my new concrete coping pavers. They are set in 254 Platinum and have been in place about a week.

Couple of questions:
1. Is one brand of Type S mortar favored over any other or are they all the same in the opinion the the experts on this board?
2. Do the pros add any bonding agent while mixing it up and if so, what is the recommended water to bonding agent mix?
3. I noticed a comment from "jimmythegreek" on the following post (Grout for coping stones?) that read "Make sure you seal the coping first if its porous or you will have streaking where the mortar was worked in." Do you think this means the exposed surfaces, the surfaces between the coping pavers or both?
4. Any recommendations on a sealant for concrete coping pavers?

Thanks for the help. This project has convinced me that I'm only doing this job once in my life so I need done right.

I've been working on a complete tile/coping stone repair job since the end of last season. Last fall was all about removing the old and prepping the bond beam for the new. This season I'm adding the new material. Waterline tile is in (Laticrete 254) and grouted (Laticrete pro premium epoxy) and I'm getting ready to lay down Type S mortar between my new concrete coping pavers. They are set in 254 Platinum and have been in place about a week.

Couple of questions:
1. Is one brand of Type S mortar favored over any other or are they all the same in the opinion the the experts on this board?
2. Do the pros add any bonding agent while mixing it up and if so, what is the recommended water to bonding agent mix?
3. I noticed a comment from "jimmythegreek" on the following post (Grout for coping stones?) that read "Make sure you seal the coping first if its porous or you will have streaking where the mortar was worked in." Do you think this means the exposed surfaces, the surfaces between the coping pavers or both?
4. Any recommendations on a sealant for concrete coping pavers?

Thanks for the help. This project has convinced me that I'm only doing this job once in my life so I need done right.
1. I have my favorite, but there's not enough difference between them to be of any material concern. Use whatever is available.
2. In some cases yes, but if you're concerned about bonding to old concrete you're much better off painting the bonding agent onto the old concrete than mixing it into the mortar. You want to make sure the old concrete is very clean, and slightly damp, paint the bonding agent on, and then start placing the mortar. You can also mix some in to aid in bonding between the mortar and the coping, but it shouldn't really be required (assuming the coping is clean). If you want to use some in the mix, use the ratio recommended for the application by the manufacturer, which can be up to 1:1 water to admix.
3. The surfaces that will be exposed after it's complete. You actually want to minimize sealent on the surfaces that will be bonded with mortar, as it will impede the bond.
4. Depends on the look and feel you're going for. Some penetrating and "wet look" sealers will change the look dramatically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.