Type of Cement for Inground Pool Bottom (Sand/Cement Mix)

Jun 11, 2017
Sayre, PA
Hi,

I'm installing a new liner in my 16x32 in-ground pool in North Eastern PA. I'm replacing the existing bottom, which is sand/cement which worked fine for over 23 years. I plan to use a 5:1 ration of Sand:Cement. The question i have is what type of cement to use? Is it Portland Cement. I'm seeing all different types, and getting some confusion and recommendations from the retailers to use mortar mix (which just sounds like pre-mixed sand and cement).

Am I just asking for Portland Cement to make it clear to the building supply folks? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Also, any other tips/tricks would be helpful e.g. recommendations on the ratio, how best to string it, etc.

Thanks,

Ken

LK25, Thanks so much for your reply. I did finally finish my new pool bottom (created a deep end). The mixture worked. There are many advantages to using that mixture over pure concrete. Let me know if you are interested in the advantages, and things to consider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.