Two Skimmers: unequal flow?

Jun 26, 2011
Problem: 10 x 20 in-ground vinyl pool (SWG) / 2 skimmers, one at each narrow end / Skimmer most distant from pump/filter has the greatest pull - even with flow-control slide plate shut down to 35% and other skimmer flow-control slide plate completely open.

History: The original installation, 10 years ago, was done by someone supposedly of good reputation and competence. My opinion does not support that reputation. The issue of competence may have relevance or not.

Question: I have a passing knowledge of things plumbing and mechanical, just not pool plumbing stuff and have no explanation for suction being stronger at the skimmer (slide valve almost closed) most distant from the pump unless there is some kind of obstruction in the piping to the nearest skimmer. Therefore, I am at a loss knowing if there is a reasonably easy fix (like blowing out the line in the opposite direction of water flow) or do I avert my attention to other aspects of life creating less anxiety? The pool is relatively clear of surface debris despite my complaint.

Stephen

If you put a plug in the better flowing skimmer does the other flow strong? I would see how the flow is from each skimmers individually with the other plugged.

I wonder if your skimmer balance valve is broken internally and not fully opening for the slow one.

I wouldn’t spend a lot of effort ripping things apart to figure it out.

Can't verify individual flow of each right now. Will do so tomorrow? Did check the skimmers, Hayward model SP1084 basic with no equalizer (balance) valve.
Thanks for the suggestion. Always surprised at the need for complication.
I am not going to rip anything apart. That is too much work. I still am curious though.

Just yesterday I noticed a similar effect on my skimmers when running my VSP at low speed. One skimmer was pulling water and the other looked dormant. My playing with the valves showed that at low speed one skimmer seemed to dominate the flow. I could make it be either skimmer by closing one, then open it back up and that skimmer would basically be dormant unless I raised the pump speed. These are plumbed back to the pad on individual runs with a shutoff on each pipe.
This was at 1000 rpm on a VSP pump and I do usually run it higher so not sure I'd have noticed if I wasn't playing with the pump speeds.

My skimmers do not have a float valve assembly. Each skimmer has a pipe connection to the suction side of the pump with a slide valve which I assume is for (trying to) equalize flow. I think there is the possibility of having an equalizing valve, but that seems to be an initial installation choice which is too late for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.