two Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 filters versus single Sta-Rite System 3 S8M500

"At a minimum you want 200SF/10,000 gallons of pool volume." Does this mean that for a 43,244 gallons pool, I really want to be getting 865+ sf of filters?
No, it's more to encourage the smaller pools to have large enough filters. Florida builders for example love tiny filters. Like 50/75/100 sq ft.

Like I said I had the 500s with 35k gallons. Pollen season was tough living in dense oaks. My 800 sq ft pool didn't help being an easy target. So I cleaned them at the end of the pollen and it was good for the rest of the season. (* I cleaned them mid season for me and not because they needed it, but I did not need to in any capacity). You'll be fine adding 8k gallons to what I had, whether it's the CCP or S8M.

Reactions: RubiconValley
No, it's more to encourage the smaller pools to have large enough filters. Florida builders for example love tiny filters. Like 50/75/100 sq ft.

Like I said I had the 500s with 35k gallons. Pollen season was tough living in dense oaks. My 800 sq ft pool didn't help being an easy target. So I cleaned them at the end of the pollen and it was good for the rest of the season. (* I cleaned them mid season for me and not because they needed it, but I did not need to in any capacity). You'll be fine adding 8k gallons to what I had, whether it's the CCP or S8M.
Thank you so much for your advice--super helpful, and very reassuring. Thank you, thank you.

Reactions: Newdude
If you have to clean the filter more than twice per year and your pool is good the filter is undersized or you should be more concerned about the air you're breathing instead of your pool filters. I think both designs appear to be sound and both brands are from companies that have been around for years. I would look at items like this to decide:
  • Availability (way more important these days than ever)
  • Up front costs Vs long term. Check this for after market sellers and the OEM. Very few housing manufacturers manufacture their own filters... maybe none do.
  • Some people prefer multiple smaller elements others prefer larger single elements. I prefer the latter because it's less parts to fail and seems quicker to clean. Whatever your preference is, you should consider this.
  • Warranty is lower on the list for me since I don't know of a single filter housing that has ever failed under warranty.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Thank you--solid advice and reassuring as well. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Newdude
One more comment on the Pentair and that big steel spring/bolt clamp that holds the top and bottom together. If I took apart and reassembled them twice a day, I'm sure I'd get good at it. As it is, it is infinitely easier for two people to take down and put back than for one. If you'll always have help, the Pentair is OK. If not, you might have to develop a new skill. And I'm talking about just that one part of the process. Two people to take it down. Two people to put it back on. The rest is easy for one person. Also, if you use skimmer socks, the filter will collect a lot less dirt and debris, and there will be less having to be caught by the pump basket. You might have to clean the skimmer socks every day or two, but compared to cleaning the filter, it's nothing.

One more comment on the Pentair and that big steel spring/bolt clamp that holds the top and bottom together. If I took apart and reassembled them twice a day, I'm sure I'd get good at it. As it is, it is infinitely easier for two people to take down and put back than for one. If you'll always have help, the Pentair is OK. If not, you might have to develop a new skill. And I'm talking about just that one part of the process. Two people to take it down. Two people to put it back on. The rest is easy for one person. Also, if you use skimmer socks, the filter will collect a lot less dirt and debris, and there will be less having to be caught by the pump basket. You might have to clean the skimmer socks every day or two, but compared to cleaning the filter, it's nothing.
FWIW - I have a CCP420. I just bought a cheap rubber mallet and ratcheting 7/8” box wrench to keep right with my pool stuff and it makes quick work of it. I’ve only taken it apart twice so far and it only takes 5 minutes solo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.