two into one

Apr 13, 2016
France
my house has two independant metered water supplies in 1/2 in steel pipe coming onto the property. Not going to alter that (1/2" bit) because just too big a job.
All is fine except previous owner said water flow/pressure drops off in the summer.
As I'm into getting things put right I am thinking of merging/combining the two delivery lines and making one improved supply.
Each supply to have own check valve (non return valve), followed by single pressure reduction valve on the combined line.
Any thoughts on sense or otherwise of said plan.....objective to improve water supply. Any downside or risks?
(Have thought about booster pumps etc, but as house is presently supplied by provisional water line anyhow, now is a good time (ie cheap) to implement).
Oh, and if I go this way any thoughts on spring loaded valves versus gravity clapper type?
Thanks for listening

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need two water supply lines?

Does each water supply have an individual shutoff?

Have you tried running the house on one water supply and see what the water pressure is?

What is the water pressure before the PRV versus after it?

2 water meters is common in homes around New England. One is the main supply, the other is for irrigation. You don’t pay sewer fees on the irrigation line.
I have two meters for that purpose as well, but one water supply line. The OP has two independent (and small) water supply lines.

Hi and thanks for replies.
I am in rural France and do not know the reason for the two separate (metered and valved) lines. (Used to be two rates too here for domestic and irrigation; but no longer.)
Through this first winter in the house water supply on one single supply is good. But as I want to make good the temporary water delivery line, I do not want to go with a single supply only to find out (next summer for example) that I am low on flow. So merging the two lines could help that.....and what I am seeking is some technical chat as to how best to approach the merge.
Thanks again

Is one line not in use, or how are the two lines currently connected? Is one just not connected?

If you don't know why there are two lines, and you are buying water from someone, then you may want to check with your water provider before merging the lines, to make sure both lines are metering your use appropriately. Especially if one of the metered lines is not currently connected. You don't want to start using it and find out that the meter isn't being watched or reported, and then get fined for stealing water, for example.

As long as one line can't backflow into the other, I'd think it would be as simple as just connecting them with a manifold. Two inputs to the manifold, both valved just in case, and one output to your house. I'd say check your local codes but they are going to probably tell you not to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.