Two Game SolarPro diverter bypass kit confusion, dial pos? vs Clear Solar Blankets?

i dont have those domes, i just bought a 4x8 piece of plywood and built my own solar heater behind my fence line. here is what my solar heater was putting out this yesterday afternoon. i have 350ft of the black poly pipe.

Wow, thats incredible.. where is that measured from exactly? The return eyeball?

i wonder how that compares to using the 80sq feet on the roof with similar temps outside.. looks like your in a warmer climate though? What was the airtemp when you took that.. what sort of output does it generate if its only 70F outside, curious.. any fear of leaking with the DYI hose? Is it significantly cheaper than buying an 80 sq foot array for $280?

The way to test efficiency/output of a solar array is to measure the amount of rise you get in the pool water over a 24 period, say 8a to 8a. Or if you want to measure daytime gain and nighttime loss you can go 8a to 8p and 8p to 8a.

Having the water that hot just points to how inefficient that solar heating concept is. You were losing a lot to the environment. It is way more efficient to heat a lot of water a few degrees then a little water 100 degrees :)

i dont have those domes, i just bought a 4x8 piece of plywood and built my own solar heater behind my fence line. here is what my solar heater was putting out this yesterday afternoon. i have 350ft of the black poly pipe.
Is that during normal use, or when you first start the system and the water has been sitting in those hoses?

What is the flow rate at that temp? Are you putting 15-20 gallons an hour of that temp water in the pool?

BTW- 150F is hot enough to scald, be sure that's where someone can't get splashed with it.

I'm still curious on that scolding 150F post... (outside temperature, location of the test etc)

but onto my test results so far with the Domes:

Outside max temp 80, mostly sunny (weds)
Pool temp in morning 54
Pool temp in evening 59 (this at 8" deep)

Thurs (high expected to be 80)
**Pool/domes are offline/mid replacing pump, will see if water jumps 4 degrees again though no circulation
Pool temp in morning: 57 (lost 2 overnight.. avg is 2-4 loss at night without solar cover)
Pool temp in evening: TBD

At 6pm the domes still had sunlight hitting them, maybe not high in the sky sunlight though.. i opened the cover, they were not warm to the touch (maybe they shouldnt be)..
I decided to test the return vent with a meat thermo.. 66F (higher up in water than the analog 59).. checked other side same spot, 66F, so no difference in warmth.

Too early to tell i guess on how well these will or wont do (even though a friend uses one for his 18' and swears by it). I would never expect this to "heat it up" in the early spring though to make 55F water 70 like some report with the solar arrays on the roof. I'd be happy going from say 72 to 80 mid summer if this works at all. I have 30 days to prove any usefulness before i lose a return window though.

I'm still curious on that scolding 150F post...

150 degree water will scald people in the pool.

From this website, Hot Water Burn | 1-800-640-8285 |
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.

Can anyone comment on if this is the proper way to do parallel.. really anything, but in my current case solar domes.. one line in from the diverter, then the other port in the middle of each dome goes to the return on the tee with the pressure gauge (part of the diverter kit)?
Sorry crappy quick sketch
parallel.jpg

Also.. if i wanted to monitor temperature at the exact area (the Tee before heading full back to the return, where the pressure gauge already is).. how could i do this.. likewise just before the diverter 3 way.. would i use some sort of cyclinder pvc with an opening that could take some sort of thermometer (permanent) and sealed in the hole?

Like this maybe? --

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1.

Something like this:
View attachment 59998
Nice diagram thanks :) Anyone know what this adapter is.. or maybe one that slips a 1 1/2 pipe instead of threads and then goes to the hose? Issue being these domes uses hoses, i'm adding the tees for parallel, either threaded tees or slip tees.. but i need a way to attach a hose.. i cant find this at lowes (the closest store to me)..
adapter.jpg

I'm actually preplanning to either do the hose option or full on panels.. leaning towards panels after this dome testing is done.

Rather than use my new 1.5hp pump (yeah wasting potential i guess).. thinking that ill use a small pump in addition for the solar array test.. 900 gph? Any recommendations? I figure if i do this test, ill prop the panels up in the yard temporarily, attach pvc/hoses to it adjust the flow (or maybe no need with lower rate pump).. and attach to my extra unused suction port (1.5") on the pool and drape the solar return hose over the side for now (enables direct temp checks for now)..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.