Turpentine Smell and Film on water

akropp

Dec 2, 2018
Tarrytown/NY
I have an autocover, and noticed recently that when I open it, there is a film over parts of the water. It clears pretty quickly (goes into the skimmers), but comes back every time I close/open the cover. Seems like maybe something on the bottom of the cover.

I have also noticed a faint turpentine-like smell from the water that started around the same time. There was one point where I let my FC get a bit low (1.5) when I hadn't used the pool in several days and the cover was closed the whole time. I’ve been fighting with my SWG making too much chlorine, and has turned it down to far.

My FC is now pretty high (8-9), and I dumped a bunch of bleach in to raise it to around 12-15, but that didn’t seem to do anything. Any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

thanks!

I have an autocover, and noticed recently that when I open it, there is a film over parts of the water. It clears pretty quickly (goes into the skimmers), but comes back every time I close/open the cover. Seems like maybe something on the bottom of the cover.

I have also noticed a faint turpentine-like smell from the water that started around the same time. There was one point where I let my FC get a bit low (1.5) when I hadn't used the pool in several days and the cover was closed the whole time. I’ve been fighting with my SWG making too much chlorine, and has turned it down to far.

My FC is now pretty high (8-9), and I dumped a bunch of bleach in to raise it to around 12-15, but that didn’t seem to do anything. Any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

thanks!
What does your CC look like. You only mention FC. Sometimes when the cover isn't open up enough there is an outgasing smell due to it being closed up.

CC is 0. I haven’t ever seen anything other than 0 (or at least less than 0.5).

I wondered about that, but it seems to be connected (in timing) to the appearance of the film I see on the water (and sometimes something that looks a bit foamy for a few seconds right when I open it).

Also, the smell lingers even when I have the cover open for a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.