Turning on SWG creates a white stream in the returns

whatdidigetmyselfinto

Jun 6, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Hi guys,

In general new to pool ownership, 2nd year. and this year I opened the pool myself.
Now that the water is warm enough (19 C - 67 F) I started the SWG. After a minute of turning it on, I get a white / cloudy stream.

I read some articles suggesting, maybe air leak, maybe low CYA coupled with cold water temperature. And that could be a factor in my case too because i have nearly no CYA which I am hoping to add soon)

Because the water was much colder and SWG couldn't be started. I tried using some chlorine stick after shocking. And algeacide. Realizing after that i dumped too much of that :( (this was 2 weeks ago). The chlorine sticks (BioGuard Smart Silkguard sticks) also had stabilizer (Which i hoped would increase the CYA levels but that was only minimal) and softener. These were leftover chemicals from previous owner, that I should not have used I guess. I have removed those sticks from the skimmer couple days ago. Though not sure if they are part of the problem.

My filter was apparently also dirty, backwashed this morning and that reduced the pressure (measure on my sand filter) by 8. Now i have a clean filter - no change.

What is interesting is that my water test result from the local shop reported a 2500 ppm salt though, SWG is report 3000. I had 3200 last year. i thought it was due to dilution but maybe there is something else play.

also : Bromine levels are a bit high I think because of those BioGuard sticks. I only have the GLB Test Strips, and they seem to show 10-20 for Bromine. 5-10 for FC.

Another disconnect is the pH level measured by the sticks vs. latest test results. 7.7 Store report vs. 6.8-7 (test strip). Could the test strips be that off ?

I am learning my lesson though. Last year, we had used soo many chemical, after the recommendations from local pool store that it took us a month to get a clear water. I made the mistake of using products, that i didn't fully understand in the name of putting them to good use (since they were already in the shed) I still have cloudy water and now having other issues :( Another lesson learned I guess. Dont use what you don't know.

I have added some pictures :

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_102852.jpg
    IMG_20200523_102852.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200523_103002.jpg
    IMG_20200523_103002.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 28
Algaecides foam too.

It is a spring time anomaly sometimes seen with a SWCG . I would not concern yourself with it.
Follow TFPC levels and stop using unknown potions.

the white spray still has not fully gone away, but clearly our salt level was not right. Aquarite reporting lower and lower numbers as time went on. which means SWG was trying to run with too low salt...added bags of salt and now it is 3200.

So a follow up question : CYA for salt water pool is recommended around 70-80. Does that make it more difficult to SLAM? should SLAM first with low CYA and then increase the CYA up to 70-80? Does it matter?

For the SLAM Process it is best to do with a CYA of 30-50 if at all possible. Do not raise your CYA to SWCG level if you need to SLAM. You use the non-SWCG chart for FC during a SLAM.

If you added bromide, you now have a bromine pool. Hopefully the level is not high enough to really mess with your chemistry.

What sticks specifically? Something's not adding up here.

Wait, I think I see what's going on here. Are you only using test strips? That's not showing chlorine and bromine, it is showing sanitizer level and you are supposed to use the chart for whichever one you are using. Also, test strips are awful and unreliable. You can't perform the SLAM Process with them and it's no wonder you are having trouble if that and pool store testing are all you have to go by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I did not catch that earlier. Without a proper test kit, you cannot follow TFP protocols.

You are welcome to ask questions and we will do the best we can, but we do not trust or provide guidance based on pool store tests or test strip data.

Those sticks do not have bromine in them. They are standard trichlor sticks with "trade secret" in them. As we always recommend knowing what you are putting in your water, we would never recommend them. I can assure you, though, that there is no bromine in them.

Reactions: mknauss
I had attributed the 'bromine' reading on the stick to that prodeuct. their language is a bit confusing and they don't disclose what they have in them clearly so i'm glad to hear i am not mixing both and screwing up my chemistry even more - phew!

So i guess my test strips, as you said, are completely useless at this point. I would hope at least 'something' on it is accurate, e.g. pH and FC. but that is wishful thinking at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.