Turning on pool heater (Chicago area)

svtcobra

Dec 3, 2019
Chicago, IL
Finally the pool is functional and the heater is fixed but of course now we have cooler weather. This Wednesday should reach 80 degrees and I'd like to let my kids swim. Should I turn on the heater now to get it to a temp of about 82? Pool is about 30,000 gallons. I've been told that to heat a pool is very costly. But feel terrible that they have been only able to swim twice this summer due to work on the pool.

Temperature should reach about 75 during the day and high 50's next two days.

What BTU is your heater?

What is your pool water temp?
Pool temperature is 70. I have a gas fired Raypak 206A heater... I'm not sure about the BTUs just yet. honestly I'm not entirely sure that's the exact model you could also be modeled 266A, 336A and or 406A. I do have a spa as well and this is the manual that the previous owner left in the house.

406A heater is 400K BTUs.

It will heat your 30,000 gallon a pool by a bit over 1.3 degree an hour best case.

To get your pool from 70 to 82 it can take over 9 hours or so depending on how much of that heat is lost if air temperature is less than water temperature.

I would turn on the heater at least 12 hours before you want to swim.

Reactions: svtcobra
406A heater is 400K BTUs.

It will heat your 30,000 gallon a pool by a bit over 1.3 degree an hour best case.

To get your pool from 70 to 82 it can take over 9 hours or so depending on how much of that heat is lost if air temperature is less than water temperature.

I would turn on the heater at least 12 hours before you want to swim.
Fantastic thanks for confirming I'm going to the heater off now then! Plenty of time to heat it up for the kiddos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.