Turn off SWCG?

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Put in Hayward Aquarite SWCG last April and its working great. Keeping tabs on all the chemicals in the pool : PH, ALK etc. Turned the SWCG down to 10% and still reading 5.0 to 6.0 for FC when testing the water. Water temp is currently 56 degrees and knowing that it stops producing Chlorine below 50 degrees, wondering if it its best to just turn the Salt Cell off at that point or not since it wont be producing any Chlorine and we dont shut down our pool....our pool is not heated so it gets no use in the winter time......Thanks

I usually leave mine running all the time because I think it is better to have a little higher FC to carry over the cold water periods when the SWG shuts down. I can usually last several weeks without having to add liquid CL.

IMO, keeping tabs on whether or not it produced FC yesterday would be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd go test the water to find I needed chlorine from the garage. Next time I'd bring it with me and Murphy's, so it wasn't needed and I'd have to go put it back. 🤦‍♂️

Once it got inconsistent I would shut it off, but either way is entirely acceptable. The key is that you test as needed to see if you're needed.

I turn my SWCG off once the "Generate" light starts blinking, indicating the water's too cold to produce chlorine. For me, that's a water temp of about 55F.

After that I maintain FC with either tabs or LC, depending on my CYA levels. I have a bunch of tabs leftover from my tabbing days so i likely will use those. Then I remove the cell and replace it with a dummy cell, give the cell a vinegar bath to remove any residual calcium, and store in the garage until water temps rise above 55F. That way I have a fresh clean cell to start the season with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.