SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This year, due to the Covid19 situation, I’ll be using cal hypo to SLAM our pool at opening (I normally use bleach). I expect I’ll might also use cal hypo occasionally during this season if FC needs a boost. The added calcium shouldn’t be a problem since I‘ve never add any since switching to the methods taught here over 10 years ago. The last time I checked CA a couple seasons ago it was about 75ppm. Our city water is about 30ppm and we get plenty of dilution throughout the season.

It’s been well over a decade since I’ve used cal hypo, so my memory on proper use has faded.

I have some old notes that say to turn off the SWCG when adding calcium or “shock”. So, should I turn off the SWCG whenever I add cal hypo? If so, how long should I leave it off?

Thanks. :)

I don’t think you have to turn off the SWG as long as you’re not pouring it near an intake. You don’t want to send high CH water into the SWG. If it’s diluted and broadcast around the perimeter, you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.