Turbo Cell 940-Incorrect Salt Reading

Jul 15, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I had a Hayward TCell-15 for several years but it died a slow death at the end of last summer and was dead when I opened the pool this year so I purchased a TCell-940 as a replacement.

As soon as I installed the 940, it showed the average salt level as 3400, but I knew immediately that was incorrect. It's the beginning of the season and I haven't put in half the normal amount of salt I do when opening the pool. I wanted an accurate reading so I'd know how much more salt I needed to add, but It's been consistently showing 3400 since it was installed 4 days ago.

I used a few test strips and they're showing a level of about 1500.

The panel is set for a T-15 and I've recalibrated it at least 6 times but the salt level has remained the same.

I'm at a loss what to do. I could take the water in to get tested, but I know it's showing the incorrect level and having them prove that wouldn't solve my problem of the cell showing a high reading that appears to be more than double the actual level. I'm considering just relying on the test strips and using those measurements to determine the proper amount of salt to add and just ignoring the reading on the panel.....hoping it will eventually correct itself.

I did read in another forum where someone mentioned that the 940 ships with a coating and it can take up to 90 days for the cell to provide an accurate reading, which in my case is nearly the entire swimming season. I have no idea if this is accurate.

Happy to hear some thoughts on what else I could do at this point.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
Get a Taylor K-1766 or Salt to accurately measure your salinity. You cannot manage and diagnose SWG problems using test strips.

Reactions: JamesW
Welcome to TFP.

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
Get a Taylor K-1766 or Salt to accurately measure your salinity. You cannot manage and diagnose SWG problems using test strips.

Thanks for the reply. Please see below.

AUTO TO OFF
54P
AL-0
R 1.59
T-15

AUTO ON
54P
AL-0
R 1.59
T-15

OFF 1 MINUTE/BACK TO AUTO
54P
AL-0
R 1.59
T-15

Cell Serial: 4E22279
Box Serial: 5A0707 (circuit board replaced 2 years ago)

In the past, I've always just used the SWG to gauge the salt level in the pool, and occasionally a test strip when needed. I've never had an issue opening the pool or maintaining the salt level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.