Tumbled travertine vs. Porcelain vs. Limestone vs. Concrete Pavers

KO314

Mar 30, 2021
Northborough, MA
Trying to decide between the options for our pool deck.
1) Travertine - We'd like to set travertine on concrete pad. Concerns are it being slippery and having to seal it often. For those of you with travertine, how much work is involved in the upkeep? What type of travertine do you have?
2) Porcelain - Is it about the same price as travertine? We'd like something that looks like natural stone. Is the maintenance easier than travertine? Does it get hot?
3) Limestone - How much more expensive is it than travertine? Is it easier to maintain than travertine? Does it need to be sealed?
4) Concrete Pavers - We hear they are hot. Should they be set on a concrete bed? Are they easy to maintain? Do they need to be sealed?
Thank you in advance!

Trying to decide between the options for our pool deck.
1) Travertine - We'd like to set travertine on concrete pad. Concerns are it being slippery and having to seal it often. For those of you with travertine, how much work is involved in the upkeep? What type of travertine do you have?
2) Porcelain - Is it about the same price as travertine? We'd like something that looks like natural stone. Is the maintenance easier than travertine? Does it get hot?
3) Limestone - How much more expensive is it than travertine? Is it easier to maintain than travertine? Does it need to be sealed?
4) Concrete Pavers - We hear they are hot. Should they be set on a concrete bed? Are they easy to maintain? Do they need to be sealed?
Thank you in advance!
I was at a similar stage last year. I wanted the look of travertine but didn’t want the work to maintain it also there are a lot of holes in it, even the premium type. What made me decide on something different was that I bought 6x12 premium travertine pavers for an outdoor kitchen. 70% were pitted. If I was to go with travertine for the pool deck, that’s a lot of holes for algae and dirt to get into. So I went with arterra Petra beige porcelain tile. It’s identical looking to travertine, maintenance free. Never thought about limestone and cement pavers are not available in the color I wanted.

I was at a similar stage last year. I wanted the look of travertine but didn’t want the work to maintain it also there are a lot of holes in it, even the premium type. What made me decide on something different was that I bought 6x12 premium travertine pavers for an outdoor kitchen. 70% were pitted. If I was to go with travertine for the pool deck, that’s a lot of holes for algae and dirt to get into. So I went with arterra Petra beige porcelain tile. It’s identical looking to travertine, maintenance free. Never thought about limestone and cement pavers are not available in the color I wanted.
Can you post some pics? We are torn between Arterra Pedra Azul or silver travertine. We were able to spray water on both types of materials that were installed at a pool and found BOTH the travertine and the arterra tiles to be pretty slippery. Kind of bummed out since we are really leaning to the arterra porcelain pavers. How have the porcelain pavers worked out for you? Heat?

Reactions: poolguy968
Can you post some pics? We are torn between Arterra Pedra Azul or silver travertine. We were able to spray water on both types of materials that were installed at a pool and found BOTH the travertine and the arterra tiles to be pretty slippery. Kind of bummed out since we are really leaning to the arterra porcelain pavers. How have the porcelain pavers worked out for you? Heat?
I’m now working on installing the coping. So I don’t have pictures yet. As far as them being slippery, maybe because it’s a different kind (by same manufacturer) but the pavers I have are not slippery. They feel like a 400 grit sandpaper. Not slippery even when wet.
FYI. I bought the Arterra Petra beige coping. Suppose to be 24x13. After measuring the top was 23.75” and the bottom was 23 5/8”. I know measurements are not what they are list as but they have to be the same. Not a big concern for me because I had to cut each piece for a freeform swimming pool but take some measurements if your getting the 24x24” If there off it would be disastrous for you patio. Your grout lines will be off.

I'm looking into Arterra porcelain pavers now. How have yours held up? Any concerns with cracking or chipping?

I'm looking into Arterra porcelain pavers now. How have yours held up? Any concerns with cracking or chipping?
No cracking, no chipping. It’s 90% complete. I have to finish behind the pool and the landscaping. The pavers are great. Not slippery at all when wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.