Ft Myers fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
My wonderful builder is supposed to be taking care of the pool while it cures and all that stuff. They haven’t shown up for 10 days now and it’s getting green with the extra rain. I can’t seem to get the main drain on to clean some of the bottom. I’m trying to prevent any more staining like what is starting to show on the waterline tiles. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• EE3051C6-7229-4CB3-BC8F-AA1885FFCACD.jpeg
    EE3051C6-7229-4CB3-BC8F-AA1885FFCACD.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 8B8DE994-04AA-4314-A40D-DBC38FAD99F3.jpeg
    8B8DE994-04AA-4314-A40D-DBC38FAD99F3.jpeg
    716.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 6E2BAC6A-0C1E-4F14-8473-50590B50FB4B.jpeg
    6E2BAC6A-0C1E-4F14-8473-50590B50FB4B.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 8EC9EA4A-E40F-40E9-A1C6-08190848427C.jpeg
    8EC9EA4A-E40F-40E9-A1C6-08190848427C.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 10
You have two valves on the return side. One is fully open, one is closed.

Realize that pulling from the main drain will do nothing for our pool. The pool has algae. You need your pool builder to deal with this as following the SLAM Process is not a good idea with new plaster.

K,

You have three inputs to your pump.. One of them is going to be the main drain, one is your skimmer.. The other input is for a second skimmer or a vacuum port.. Only you will be able to tell which is which.

How many skimmers do you have?

Do you have a vacuum port?

You can run the main drain until next summer and it will not fix your algae problem.. Rain did not cause the problem.. The problem is that you pool builder never taught you how to take care of your pool. We would be glad to get you pointed in the right direction...

You should read about how to SLAM a pool... SLAM Process

and... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks,

Jim R.

There’s one skimmer two drains in the deep end and two ports in the skimmer so I assume one is a vacuum. There’s only minimal chemicals and no SWG running while the plaster cures. After the pool cures they show us the equipment and how to use it but in the mean time their supposed to take of it. I’ve been trying to read up on what to expect once we are the ones maintaining the pool. I appreciate the help I’ve gotten so far.

Don't allow the pool builder to use algaecides or clarifiers to clear the pool. These products can have lasting negative effects. You would think pool builders understand pool chemistry, but that's not always true. Now is the time to order a good test kit and study up on pool care.

K,

I am sure you have two main drain "covers" but they are both connected together.. One pipe goes back to the equipment pad and is most likely one of the three inputs to your pump. If you only have one skimmer than one of the other inputs to your pump is the skimmer. That leaves one unknown input, which I suspect it is a vacuum port in the side wall of your pool.. Go look and see if you can find it.. It will looks similar to your pool returns, but it will have a little spring-loaded door that keeps it closed unless you open it and insert a hose. Most likely, if you walk from the equipment pad directly to your pool, that is where it will be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

K,

:thumleft:

You can turn off one input valve at a time and then check the skimmer and see which valve shuts the skimmer off.. Now you know which valve controls the skimmer.

Turn off the pump and hold the little spring loaded door open.. Turn on the pump.. With all three valves open see if you can feel suction at the vacuum port.. Do not stick your whole had in there.. Once you know you have suction, then turn off the two unknown valves, one at a time, and see which makes the vac suction go away.. Now you know two to the three valves.. The remaining valve has to be for your main drain.

Personally, since it is a new pool, I'd want to drain it all and start over fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.