Trying to SLAM

Don't stop now!

full

• Haha
Reactions: Koelest
Great!!!

So remember for the future, if you find your water has 0 CYA and you know there was some in it before, do the ammonia protocol before adding CYA.

Good job.

New twist. I can't get to my shock level still. Chlorine not be using quite as fast. OCLT was from 15 to .5. Pool math said to add 4 gallons of 10%. Did that and it is now holding at 18, did two tests at 15 minute intervals. CC is in between .5 and 1. Added another gallon, still 18. That's the highest I can get. Had this yesterday too. I added an extra two gallons on top of pool math and it wouldn't break above 18.

OCLT was from 15 to .5.
Don't bother with the OCLT yet - way too early. Even the CC test can wait. Save all your energy and reagents for the FC test alone. If it's getting pulled-down, it has to be either becasue it's still fighting residual ammonia and/or you have lots or remaining products (i.e. antifreeze) in your water from winter. Hopefully the bleach itself is of good quality and at the strength (%) you expect. Also make sure in the PoolMath tool, the correct bleach % is being used. Other than that, you're still in a bit of a fight. Chlorine (bleach) is your best weapon, and you'll just need to do your best to increase the FC and test quickly to ensure you achieve your FC goal, the re-test to see how fast it's dropping. Evenetually, the dropping will slow-down and everything will be more steady. Hang in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@mknauss Don’t mean to hijack, but what is the ammonia protocol?!
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
You can also use a fish aquarium test kit to check for ammonia. Ammonia comes from decaying leaves and debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.