Trying to raise pH

elainerader said:
Great thanks! That sounds very doable.

re:vacation, I'm leaving this coming Wednesday. I'm concerned that if it's not clear by then I will have to start all over Do you have any advice for that scenario?

Thanks again!
Got a trustable friend or neighbor? By now you oughtto know how much bleach the thing uses every day. Have 'em just dump that much in every day while you're gone and adjust things when you get back.

Yesterday the pool was clear, beautiful, chlorine still in shock range, 0 CC, so I ended the shock process.

I added some water to get the level up to vacuum the rest of the chemical debris out of the pool. I vacuumed, back washed, rinsed the filter. (There were two small black and a few small brown spots on the liner that will not even brush off, stuck to the liner)

This morning there are ribbons of dark debris on a few areas of the pool. This is the same experience I have been having all along, with people telling me I had mustard algae.

I am trying to attach a photo, but the requirements for file size are so small and I have no photo shop to adjust the file size.

Can you explain why this keeps happening??

If it is truly passing through the filter and not new algae or pollen, then you could inspect and clean the sand bed (see article about channeled sand in further reading of Pool School) our try a little DE in the filter (see Pool School)

Not pollen we're done with that.

Would an indicator that it's passing through the filter be that it only re appears after I put the pump back on?

This is what happens:
I leave the pump off overnight, I have a clean pool in the morning.
I turn the pump on and within hours stuff is back in the pool.

This has been happening for a year.

Well thanks to you all my pool is beautiful but I am fast using up my R-0871 to test the chlorine levels. (I still have plenty of the powder)

Because my CYA is 70 (pool in full sun-sun up to sun set) I am keeping my levels no lower than 5 and trying to stay at 8 (which is a daily adding of 50 to 100 oz)
I cannot use the daily test for that reason, it does not read over 5. Still a little paranoid and I'm testing every day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Daily testing is good. As you test and get familiar with your pool, you may be able to test every other day. Get an idea of how much bleach your pool uses per day, and just pour that in. But for now, testing every day is a good idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
elainerader said:
Well thanks to you all my pool is beautiful but I am fast using up my R-0871 to test the chlorine levels. (I still have plenty of the powder)

Because my CYA is 70 (pool in full sun-sun up to sun set) I am keeping my levels no lower than 5 and trying to stay at 8 (which is a daily adding of 50 to 100 oz)
I cannot use the daily test for that reason, it does not read over 5. Still a little paranoid and I'm testing every day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you using the 10 mL sample? The XL reagents from tftestkits.net should last a full season and help if you're shocking. The R-0871 is used the most with the FAS-DPD test.

Go ahead and be paranoid and do FAS-DPD test everyday until you get to know your pool (and you will). Keep a log.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.