Trying to make sense of this!

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Okay...here we go. I have a in-ground pool, spa, waterfall/overflow. The pool and spa are at the same level. The waterfall/overflow is raised above that level.
Pump/filter A has skimmer, main drain, and vacuum suction as well as pool return.
Pump /filter B has spa, fountain-overflow suction and returns.
However, filter A also has a return line connected with the fountain-overflow return over by pump B. There is a shut off valve in that line halfway between the two systems.
If I shut off the return from pump A to the fountain-overflow return, I can run either system with no problem either at the same time or not. If I open that return valve though, and do not have pump B running, then the spa will overflow onto the deck and the fountain-return will operate with only an increased amount of water coming out of the return pipes. Makes sense as there is no suction going on, only returning water.
My question is this. Why would you connect only a return line from filter A to the fountain-overflow on a separate system? The only way you can have water returning to that without the spa overflowing is if both systems are running at the exact same time. If that is the case then why connect them to begin with? Just run both timers for both systems at the same time. Or am I missing something here?
Thx Mike

If I read it right, if the valve between the systems is open, you can 'exchange' the water in the spa with the pool water (to chlorinate?) but you must still have both systems running.

Most systems like yours that I've seen run the features separately. That said I don't think it hurts. Just leave the valve closed if you don't want to use it. I could see times where I might want to run the pool in spa mode and just divert a little flow to the water feature to keep it chlorinated. I'm sure there are others on here with more experience on this than I have since I don't have any water features other than the spa spillover.

A few photos of your plumbing, pad and water features might help our experts reply.

Chris

If I read it right, if the valve between the systems is open, you can 'exchange' the water in the spa with the pool water (to chlorinate?) but you must still have both systems running.
Yes. But as I look out now and thinking this thing thru...if I leave that valve closed and run the spa /fountain pump, then the fountain area will flow into the pool, thereby losing all that water as there is no water going from the pool back into the spa/fountain! Eventually the water coming from the spa will run dry as it goes into that fountain area. Unless someone can explain otherwise the only way I could run the spa/fountain is to have both the pool and spa /fountain running together and shut off together so some of that water spilling over from fountain to pool is replaced from the pool thru that return line with the valve in it. Is there any way I can run the spa and fountain without the pool running? Or maybe just run spa by itself? So if spillover is spilling into pool, somehow that water must be returned or it will empty out. What a mess!
Most systems like yours that I've seen run the features separately. That said I don't think it hurts. Just leave the valve closed if you don't want to use it. I could see times where I might want to run the pool in spa mode and just divert a little flow to the water feature to keep it chlorinated. I'm sure there are others on here with more experience on this than I have since I don't have any water features other than the spa spillover.

A few photos of your plumbing, pad and water features might help our experts reply.

Chris

Chris
Finally figured it out! Run pump A with return line to fountain open. Run pump B with spa suction full open and spa return full open, which then causes fountain return to be off completely from pump B. Pool will then run normal, with returning water to go into fountain and then overflow into pool. When spa pump runs for an hour or so each day it is it’s own closed system and there is no draining down or spilling over. No extra waiter coming in and none draining out into fountain. 😀

When spa pump runs for an hour or so each day it is it’s own closed system and there is no draining down or spilling over. No extra waiter coming in and none draining out into fountain. 😀

How will the spa water get chlorinated and filtered?

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.