Trying to ID Skimmer & How it is Plumbed

acon217

Mar 27, 2021
Mesa, Arizona
I only have 1 suction hole in my pool (other than the main drain) and it is in my skimmer. This forces me to use a Pentair Vac-Mate to be able to skim & vacuum simultaneously, which works okay but could be alot better if I could divert some suction from the main drain to the skimmer. I'm pretty sure I have an "Anthony" type skimmer where the drain & skimmer suction join right below the skimmer hole & travel to the pump thru 1 pipe. My skimmer is missing the "Anthony Style Diverter", there's just a single hole. If my understanding is correct, the Anthony diverter screws into the hole then can be turned to decrease suction from the main drain, diverting the suction power to the skimmer. I'd just plug the main drain but whoever built the pool or replastered it did a really sloppy job on the drain making it impossible to plug it.

I think my skimmer is a Pentair Admiral, probably an older one. I've only been able to locate 3 Anthony diverter type products. 1 made by Pentair but it is short, unthreaded & doesn't look long enough to block off the drain suction. Then there are 2 products by Vap-Pak that look long enough to work. Does anyone have any insight on what brand of skimmer I have & the best way to make it function as intended?

Also, in my pic it looks like there was at one time some kind of skimmer diverter plate that someone just chipped away at to expose the actual hole below. The edges look really rough like it was busted & removed. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210801_112617_resized.jpg
    20210801_112617_resized.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to TFP.

Get a robot cleaner and give up on the idea of suction vacuuming your pool. The robot will clean way better then your vacuuming ever will. And trying to make your skimmer work for vacuuming will just be an exercise in frustration.

Checkout the Pool Cleaner section where folks buy Dolphin robot cleaners from Margaret Mills at Marina Pool, spa & Patio in Lakewood, CO.

Thanks ajw, I have thought that option to be the wisest long term. I think I'll stick with my Vac Mate and Phoenix pool cleaner until it needs to be replaced. Then I'll spring for a nice robot & let the pool suction handle all the skimming. I do still want to find out how everything works in my plumbing. I like to learn everything I can.

You have the same skimmer I have, and I am currently going through the same pain as you. I just ordered one of the Anthony style inserts because they're the only threaded ones I can find. The previous owned had one of the unthreaded Pentair diverters in there and wrapped it with a lot of electrical tap to wedge it in the hole. I'll let you know if the Anthony style works out.

s-l1600.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.