Trying to get these darn chemicals right!

psu527

Sep 11, 2017
Stevensville, MD
Hi! I'm new to pool ownership and this forum. I have been doing a lot of reading up based off everyone's posts (old and new) to help me learn the fine art of pool chemical balancing, but I was still hoping for a little guidance to make sure I'm on the right track.

A little background:
We just installed a above ground 18' round pool last week and filled it up with our water. Water is clear and blue. I was having trouble finding reliable test strips so I went to the local pool store to see how far off I really was and this is what I got:

FC 0.71
TC 1.02
CC 0.31
pH 7.6
Hardness 122
Alkalinity 66
CYA 3
Copper 0
Iron 0.1

The local pool store instructed me to add alkalinity, hardness, shock, and then add stabilizer (which is CYA, right?).

How far off am I? And what exactly are the ranges for an above ground pool that I'm trying to meet?

P.S.: I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit on the way ... Arriving Thursday.

The recommended levels are in Pool School.

Hold off on hardness - do you have a heater?

1. Add baking soda to raise your ALK (CYA is acidic and could lower your ALK so I suggest the addition to bring it up to 70-80)
2. Then add your stabilizer/CYA.
3. Skip "shock"
4. Add enough liquid chlorine to raise your FC to 3-5.

Use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much of each chemical to add to get to the recommended levels.

Post back if you have additional questions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Based on the data - Alkalinity is fine, Hardness does not matter (on low side) with a vinyl pool, and you need chlorine and CYA.

Add 30 ppm CYA. Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine. DAILY.

When you get your test kit, post up the results.

You can add all three of the products I mentioned at basically the same time - CYA can go into the skimmer in a nylon knee high/panty hose. Baking soda gets poured in front of the return flow, as does the liquid chlorine. Use a pole with pool brush to dissolve any residual powder, this will also help stir up the chlorine addition. Leave the filter running for several hours to adequately distribute the chemicals and help the CYA dissolve. I would recommend running the filter until all of the CYA has dissolved.

Hi everyone!! Thanks so much for the quick replies. I did go ahead and add alkalinity up already and it's currently circulating. I will go ahead and add liquid chlorine and CYA now.

So calcium hardness isn't even a factor for above ground pools?? Wow...

Frustratedpoolmom - I do not have a pool heater.

Watch your pH. You really did not need to raise your TA and now your pH will most likely be raising.

Have muriatic acid on hand to manage pH.

The CYA is acidic...it will lower ph and ALK. How much alk up (baking soda) did they tell you to add? You can see using the Effects of Adding Chemicals Section at the bottom of the PoolMath Calculator what this addition will do to your PH (not much probably unless they had you add ALOT of baking soda. LOL) I would go ahead and retest your pH and ALk levels this evening.

High Alkalinity can cause PH to drift up, but mostly when there are sources of aeration like fountains, waterfalls, etc. or splashing kids...

No hardness not an issue unless you have a new heater and the warranty requires it.

I'm definitely keeping a close eye on my pH. The pool store told me to add 8lbs 13.6oz of alkalinity up; however, I only added probably 2 lbs so that my pH wouldn't go crazy and I figured better be on the low end of the alkalinity vs. the high end.

I just put in CYA based off the sock method and added 3 ppm liquid chlorine. Pump is running :)

Hey everyone! Here's what I got this morning using the K-2006 kit:

pH 7.6
FC 3.8
CC 0
TA 110-120 (between the 2)
CYA 37

Please let me know your feedback.

Do I need to add more CYA or is this okay? Why is there no CC? Is my FC level okay? What is my FC goal?

Thanks in advance!!
Lyndsey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suggest you use a 10 ml water sample for the FC test. Each drop to clear will equal 0.5ppm FC. That is accurate enough for pool use.

Your CYA is 40. Round up as the vial is logarithmic scale.

No CC is a good thing. And FC for that CYA is fine - see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Watch your pH, your TA is high and pH will rise.

Not sure what alkalinity down is. We prefer to use common household products. Muriatic acid, baking soda, etc.

You should be adding chlorine daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.