Trying to get started, got my TF100

Aug 17, 2016
Austin, TX
So I just bought a new house with a pool. I have been on TFP for a few weeks to prepare. I moved in and testing the pool immediately with my new TF100 kit. Here are the results and I think it is bad....please help:

Fc 1ppm
CH 975 PPM
TA 210

help!!!

Really? Ok, any guidance on how to do that? Should I use my hose? Bring a water truck? Is there anything I should consider with a drained pool? I know I want to try and clean off some rust spots, but are there any other tasks that are easier with a empty pool?

What is your fill water like? Test its TA and CH. Does your fill water have iron in it? Do you have a water softener/conditioner for your house hold water? Do your plumbing fixtures turn red/brown?

Read Draining - Further Reading Focus on the No Drain Water Exchange which would be safer this time of year for a plaster pool, if that is what you have.

Please fill out your signature.

Ok, any guidance on how to do that? Should I use my hose? Bring a water truck
Every area is different. I have town water and an irrigation/sprinkler/well pump and both of those options are clear and very cheap. Some places the town water is expensive or the ground water is full of iron and not worth it. Others have a pool too far away from any water sources. All of those people tend to truck water in.
Is there anything I should consider with a drained pool
Vinyl needs to have 12 inches of water on the bottom anywhere there is a bottom. (Shallow end if the pool is IG). Plaster and Fiberglass pools need to have water in them to stop the shells from popping out of the ground if the water table is higher than the bottom of the pool shell. If you can dig down that deep and not hit water, You are fine to drain for a short while.
are there any other tasks that are easier with a empty pool
Any holes in the pool..... lights, returns, main drains, skimmers, in floor cleaners, stairs, etc would be easier to work on empty. Unfortunately you would have to know what was needed beforehand which is unlikely on a new to you pool.

Read the link that Marty posted above and decide how to proceed from there.

Ok, I asked about my water chemistry on a previous thread and was told I had to exchange water as calcium and CYA were WAY high. I finished the exchange and did some liquid chlorine additions and now have the following results from my TF100 test kit:

• Ph 7.5
  • FC 5x0.5=2.5
  • CC 1x0.5=0.5
  • TC 3
  • Calcium 10x25=250
  • TA 13x10=130
  • CYA 34
I am no expert yet but I feel like I am in much better shape. Thoughts? Seems like it is swimmable now right?

TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.