Trying to find the leak.....

minmex

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Far North TX
Hi again-
I have a Vinyl lined inground pool approx 14'x28'x6' at the deepest spot. The liner was replaced about 4 years ago.

I'm currently losing 1.5" inches per day, which I calculate out to approx 366 gallons per day. Seems like this should be obvious, but I can't find it....

Funny thing, I had a wet spot in the yard near the pool so I figured, aha got ya. Dug down through the wet ground and found a pipe. Unfortunately, this pipe is a sprinkler line leaking instead, so good to fix that, but didn't solve the pool problem..

Anyway...I put plugs in the 2 return and 1 vac ports (all about the same height) and have not run the pool plumbing for 5 days now. I've marked the pool each day and the rate of leaking seems quite constant over all of these days. We haven't had any rain but a sprinkle. Today the water is now just almost under the eyeballs/vac port.

I've shot some dye in a syringe at a few places, like around the ladder mounts, around the light, and I made up a long stick so I could hold the syringe over the bottom drain and shot some there. I didn't see any obvious movement of the dye heading to any particular place, it seemed to disperse in all directions.

The skimmer is holding water, so I'm pretty sure it's not that, and the water level is now below the skimmer and it's still leaking, so I think I'm safe to rule that out, yes?

The only other place, assuming there is not a hole in the liner, would be along the plastic step section going into the pool, the pool light, or the bottom drain, or the ladder mounts. I have shot some dye at all these things though and not seen it get sucked in anywhere.

Help please - any ideas for something I'm missing? or how to check in a different way?

I'm thinking I shouldn't let it get much lower or this is not good for the liner?

Thanks for any words of wisdom. Pictures to be attached in the next post

Hi there,
I will make my leak finding story short because I tried many ways to find it...similar to what you have done thus far. So now, the short version:

I ensured that the water was clear with the proper chemical levels along with a high chlorine content to ensure that my water will not turn green. I had decided to let the water drop since I could not find the leak. One morning, I walked out in the back yard past the shallow end and heard water trickling. The water level in the pool was about 3 inches at the shallow end. I found three holes, two small and one large. I am pretty sure these holes were produced by me brushing the pool floor. As I brush and come to the corner, I slam the brush against the pool wall not thinking that I would puncture the vinyl. Anyway, I did. I sealed them using a vinyl pool repair kit from Amazon. I do brush very carefully now especially when I come to the corner of the pool. I am happy now. I hope this helps you.

Attachments

• 20190929_141028_LI.gif
    20190929_141028_LI.gif
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190929_141041_LI (2).gif
    20190929_141041_LI (2).gif
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
Today's update - same rate of drop, water is now below the eyeballs/vac line so I guess the leak is somewhere below. At this point I'm filling it back up again and get it cleaned up, then I guess I'll have to go snorkeling in there later to look for little tears or such...but at least I know that it isn't leaking from the last line and upwards, so I got that going for me...

Good luck. i had a leak in my liner shortly after installed. Leak was in a small tear on the bottom in the deep end. Keep that in mind if you try letting the water level drop in an attempt to find it.

Well...after I refilled, and vacuumed it up much nicer, I put on the mask and snorkel and went exploring, and found two small tears on the floor. I bought a patch kit at the pool store and stuck them over the cuts. Yesterday it rained like mad, so now the pool is full, so I'll keep watch and see how it does. Hopefully this is the only bad spot, and I can get back to normal pool operating and get it back on the bleach program ( if I can find any in the stores)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.