Trying to drain the pool. It stops when water level is below skimmer basket

Mar 28, 2016
houston, tx
I'm trying to drain my pool for some construction work.

I noticed it stopped draining after passing below my skimmer basket, it starts to drawing in air at the pump. I did some research on the web and realized I had to plug both drain holes in the skimmer. After pluggin up the holes, my pump tries to drain but only prime and then turns off because there is no water flow. Could it be my 2 main drain lines in the bottom of the pool is clogged?

Any suggestions that you think I should try? Thank you.

I have a in-ground, concrete pool.

Last edited:
Use a submersible pump. You should never use your pool pump to drain the pool. Risking a $1800 pump to do a $100 pump job.

G,

Unless you know for sure that your main drain is plumbed back to your equipment pad, most likely it is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. If you have two "open" pipes under your skimmer basket, then almost for sure the one closest to the pool is plumbed to your main drain.

I would never recommend using the pool pump to drain a pool. Just use a sump pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Eauclaire
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.