Trying to drain the pool, but can't get the Main Drain to prime. I think it's clogged?

lordewoks

Jun 25, 2021
New Jersey
LONG EXPLANATION:
So I've been trying to open the pool for over a month now. When I removed the cover, the water was green. I shocked the pool and then cleared up a little bit, but then a day or so after, it seemed to have turned green again. Two weeks of balancing and shocking, but nothing seems to clear up the algae. I also tried algeacide specifically for yellow\black algae followed up 10 pounds of shock (normally 2-3 is enough to clear up the pool), but still nothing.

Deciding to raise the white flag on killing the algae, I decided to just drain the pool rather than continue to dump $ and chemicals into it. I was using the Main Drain to empty out the pool, and got it to about 85% empty. I shut it off for the night because I didn't want the pump to run dry. Next morning, I can't get the pump running from the Main Drain to drain the remaining 15% of the pool. I don't necessarily want to fill the pool back up again with the remaining 15% of muck as it will basically bring me back to square one.

Things I've tried:
1) I tried priming the vacuum and skimmer, but it doesn't maintain its seal\pressure with the water level so low.
2) I tried priming the main drain line, but doesn't seem to get the pump going when started.
3) I tried blowing air into the main drain line from the pump but don't seem any bubbles coming out of the deep end.
4) I can't see the actual drain at the bottom of the pool because it is so murky. I used the pool brush in its general vicinity to move any possible debris/blockage.

Questions:
1) Does the main drain need a specific water level to work? or at least get started?
2) Any other options? I have a standalone water pump, but it is fairly small and will take forever to empty the pool and possibly burn itself out.

I cant say for sure how to get your pool drained out the rest of the way, but since you see new here, i suggest going and reading the abcs of pool chemistry to learn and understand how to take care of your pool. If youve been buying pool store chemicals to try to clear up your pool, you may have gotten a chemical mess going on in your water. Welcome to the forums and someone with more knowledge than myself will be allng to give you more guidance.

Hey Lorde and Welcome !!! Self priming inground pumps can only overcome so much. It kept prime until you shut it off but won’t be able to re-prime. Rent/buy a submersible pump from HD/Amazon for the rest.

I’m surprised you got as far as you did because they usually loose suction at some point, and at that point run dry, which is why we don’t recommend fully draining with them if you aren’t babysitting it.

if you get a 1/3-1/2 HP pump that takes a garden hose, you can get a sprinkler fitting and hack much better flow seen here.

Hey Lorde and Welcome !!! Self priming inground pumps can only overcome so much. It kept prime until you shut it off but won’t be able to re-prime. Rent/buy a submersible pump from HD/Amazon for the rest.

I’m surprised you got as far as you did because they usually loose suction at some point, and at that point run dry, which is why we don’t recommend fully draining with them if you aren’t babysitting it.

if you get a 1/3-1/2 HP pump that takes a garden hose, you can get a sprinkler fitting and hack much better flow seen here.
At what point would you say it would be able to re-prime itself again? Would I need to completely refill the pool?

At what point would you say it would be able to re-prime itself again? Would I need to completely refill the pool?
All pumps/plumbing are different of course but if I had to guess I’d say 2/3 full (ish). Be extra careful when trying and shut the pump off if it doesn’t prime quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.