Trying to determine pool size

Hey guys it's been a while since I have been on here! I just purchased a new home and I have a pool I am trying to determine size for proper chemical dosing! Here is a diagram I made with measurements and depth, its kind of too much for me to handle I think :laughblue:. I have been researching and am considering doing the TA test to chemically determine size. Not trying to get anyone to do the work for me, just point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated! I calculated roughly 30,000 gallons. (Prev owner said 40,000 pool store says 24,000)

The pool is a free form pool and measures 48.5 feet long and has different widths (18'6", 13'6" 12'8") as seen in diagram. Depths go from 2ft (sun ledge) to 6'4" (center). The spa is 8 feet 10 inches in diameter, but has a 16" bench all the way around!

TIA

Hector

The best way to handle pool size using the standard method is to break it down into smaller pieces.

Here’s what I get.
Excluding your sunledge, average depth = (4’5”+6’4”+3’5”)/3 = 4.72”D.
Average width = (18.”x13.5”x12.6”)/3 = 14.86”W.
4.72”D x 41.8”L x 14.86”W = 21,800g (from PoolMath)
Sunledge, 2”D x 6.6”L x 12”W = 1,200g
Spa, 8.8”W x 3”D = 1,400g
Total = 24,400g

If you introduce two intermediate depths at 5” you would add ~700g = ~25,000g.

Given PoolMath assumes its a rectangle and there are no corners I would suggest your closer to 24,000g.

It’s up to you but I would check my calc’s and if correct I would use 25,000g as your starting point.

When you use the FC method get the freshest chlorine you can and be careful to enter the concentration correctly.

Reactions: Tito_cen
A pool service guy estimated my pool size at 20,000 gallons and I've been working off that estimate for 10 years. He just looked at it, no calculations. That number seemed to work.

This year I installed a new liner and had to drain and refill. Adding the water bills up totaled 19,000 gallons. So that guy did me a solid all those years ago.

Reactions: IceShadow
The best way to handle pool size using the standard method is to break it down into smaller pieces.

Here’s what I get.
Excluding your sunledge, average depth = (4’5”+6’4”+3’5”)/3 = 4.72”D.
Average width = (18.”x13.5”x12.6”)/3 = 14.86”W.
4.72”D x 41.8”L x 14.86”W = 21,800g (from PoolMath)
Sunledge, 2”D x 6.6”L x 12”W = 1,200g
Spa, 8.8”W x 3”D = 1,400g
Total = 24,400g

If you introduce two intermediate depths at 5” you would add ~700g = ~25,000g.

Given PoolMath assumes its a rectangle and there are no corners I would suggest your closer to 24,000g.

It’s up to you but I would check my calc’s and if correct I would use 25,000g as your starting point.

When you use the FC method get the freshest chlorine you can and be careful to enter the concentration correctly.

Awesome thanks! Will do! I use liquid chlorine, I buy 4 gallons at a time and keep them indoors until the moment I pour. Only thing I don't know is how long they sit on the shelf at lowes, but they do seem to move pretty quick according to their inventory!

A pool service guy estimated my pool size at 20,000 gallons and I've been working off that estimate for 10 years. He just looked at it, no calculations. That number seemed to work.

This year I installed a new liner and had to drain and refill. Adding the water bills up totaled 19,000 gallons. So that guy did me a solid all those years ago.

The pool people here don't seem to be very savvy. I have had 3 guys stopped showing up. I have been cleaning my pool almost daily, and recently just purchased a Dolphin Active 60 from Marina Pool & Spa and it is amazing! I also have an Instapark Betta Skimmer, and so far so good!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.