Trying to decide on best pool finish.

Re: Marquis quartz vs pebble tech pool interior

The PT surface contains lots of tiny pebbles in the plaster mix, and quartz finishes contain large grains of quartz sand, sometimes colored. The plaster base in either product can also come in a variety of colors, the darker Blue ones being the most expensive. Quartz finishes as a rule are much smoother. This is a short simple version, but that's the nutshell. Pebble finishes are generally considered to be longer lasting, but not by much if good water balance is reasonably maintained.

Re: Marquis quartz vs pebble tech pool interior

Yes, quartz is an excellent finish. Maintaining your pH, TA and CH properly will allow your quartz finish to last 20+ years. It isn't a lot of work, but it does take some time.

Plaster is the basic finish, it can last 7 to 10 years, and up to 20 years with excellent water management
Quartz is next 10 to 15 years and 20+ with excellent water chemistry
Pebble finishes should last a bit longer than quartz, 25 or more with excellent water chemistry
Aquabright is also a great option, I am very interested in using it the future

Properly managing pH, TA and CH will add a decade or more to the life of your pool finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yankee lawyer, can I see a pic of your pool with the PebbleTec Tahoe blue finish? We are making our PebbleTec color choice soon. Thanks

SUre!

I had a hard time deciding because I like both dark pools and ones that have a brighter color. I ultimately chose Tahoe because the color varies a lot depending on the lighting conditions and your vantage point.
The closeup photo that appears to be bright aqua are taken standing right next to the pool at the deep end on a sunny day. The medium blue ones were taken at the same time, standing at different angles in relation to the pool (eg 200 ft away, from the hillside above versus next to the pool). The ones that look greenish grey were taken on a winter morning without much sun. Most of the time, the water looks bright and blue or dark aqua as it does in the brighter photos. Really, the photos do not do the finish justice.

Note that we added glass beads to the mix ("Luminous" in jade mix, an equal blend of blue, green, and clear glass). I don't think this mix alters the color but it makes the water look brighter. It is also available in blue mix or emerald (green only) if you prefer a different shade.

One consideration is whether you plan to use colored lights, because they are brighter with pools that are light of medium color, I think Tahoe is about as dark as you can go and still have the colored lights show up very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 185
SUre!

I had a hard time deciding because I like both dark pools and ones that have a brighter color. I ultimately chose Tahoe because the color varies a lot depending on the lighting conditions and your vantage point.
The closeup photo that appears to be bright aqua are taken standing right next to the pool at the deep end on a sunny day. The medium blue ones were taken at the same time, standing at different angles in relation to the pool (eg 200 ft away, from the hillside above versus next to the pool). The ones that look greenish grey were taken on a winter morning without much sun. Most of the time, the water looks bright and blue or dark aqua as it does in the brighter photos. Really, the photos do not do the finish justice.

Note that we added glass beads to the mix ("Luminous" in jade mix, an equal blend of blue, green, and clear glass). I don't think this mix alters the color but it makes the water look brighter. It is also available in blue mix or emerald (green only) if you prefer a different shade.

One consideration is whether you plan to use colored lights, because they are brighter with pools that are light of medium color, I think Tahoe is about as dark as you can go and still have the colored lights show up very well.

Thanks for the information and the pics. Anyone have an idea of the next lighter color up from Tahoe Blue? Would it be the Carribean blue or blue lagoon?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.