Trying to convince others...Its tough

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
My in-laws have had a super nice 24' AG pool since 1983. All aluminum...Super nice. They've done the same thing every year and every year have a green pool by August. We got our pool this year and from the beginning I've been following the advice given here and have had sparkling clear water and it couldnt be easier.

I asked them before I got my pool what they have heard about ppl using bleach instead of tablets. She almost convinced me that it would fade the liner and it was bad news. I was almost (and i mean to the point where i removed the bookmark for this site) convinced to follow the pool store and this was a bad idea. They use strips to test. And warned against me getting a drop test. Saying it was too much work and the strips were super easy.

Now their pool is green again and the pool place said they are in chlorine lock and will possibly have to drain. They keep asking me how our pool looks and to get ready, its gonna turn green. Especially with all the rain. So after about 3 weeks of them asking if our pool was green and me saying its still crystal clear they asked how i was doing it.

The minute I said I was using bleach I knew they would lecture me so i said i was using liquid chlorine. I proceeded to try and explain CYA/FC relationship and why they were green but they just wouldnt listen. I really want to help but its tough when some people are set in their ways.

Any advice on what to say or how to help? They are in their 60s and dont even have a computer...So i cant just tell them to get on here and read.

One thing I've learned is you can't make anybody do something they are not willing too. Some people are afraid of change. A family member of mine has a green pool every year, also. I've taken my test kit over, told them what they need to do and gave them the name of this site. The rest is up to them. They have already drained and refilled once this year. They are convinced they can run the pool on $10-$15 dollars a months buy throwing some kind of floaty canister thing they buy at Wal-mart in and forgetting about it.

It may be harder for them since they don't have a computer, but maybe you could print off some of the pertinent info for them. If they see it, they may understand. My parents just got their first computer and sometimes they drive me crazy calling and asking questions..lol

My in-laws have had a super nice 24' AG pool since 1983. All aluminum...Super nice. They've done the same thing every year and every year have a green pool by August. We got our pool this year and from the beginning I've been following the advice given here and have had sparkling clear water and it couldnt be easier.

I asked them before I got my pool what they have heard about ppl using bleach instead of tablets. She almost convinced me that it would fade the liner and it was bad news. I was almost (and i mean to the point where i removed the bookmark for this site) convinced to follow the pool store and this was a bad idea. They use strips to test. And warned against me getting a drop test. Saying it was too much work and the strips were super easy.

Now their pool is green again and the pool place said they are in chlorine lock and will possibly have to drain. They keep asking me how our pool looks and to get ready, its gonna turn green. Especially with all the rain. So after about 3 weeks of them asking if our pool was green and me saying its still crystal clear they asked how i was doing it.

The minute I said I was using bleach I knew they would lecture me so i said i was using liquid chlorine. I proceeded to try and explain CYA/FC relationship and why they were green but they just wouldnt listen. I really want to help but its tough when some people are set in their ways.

Any advice on what to say or how to help? They are in their 60s and dont even have a computer...So i cant just tell them to get on here and read.

I have a similar story...We've all got one like it I imagine. IMO it's like trying to get a smoker to stop smoking...They won't change the habit until they want to. There's nothing you can say to convince them the "experts" at the pool store are nothing more than "sales people". The best way to convert them is to let them live out their misery, and when they ask about your pool, tell them how great it is.

I think it becomes a social issue for most people, they don't want to go against the "conventional wisdom" even though the truth is right in front of them. I've been trying to get my mom to convert for years with no luck. I asked her to give me one season of TFP, let me run her pool and I would take on some of the cost.

She said OK, I brought my test kit over and got CYA of 125. I told her we needed to drain and refill half her water and she balked right there and called it off. She said her "pool expert" told her to NEVER drain any water except after rain ( :rolleyes: ), so I must be doing something wrong and she wasn't going to let me screw up her pool. No amount of explanation would change her mind.

Ah well...its the beginning of August. We'll see who struggles through and who enjoys their pool. :cool:

I wouldn't bother trying to explain. Offer no suggestions and no sympathy, either. Well... you should be nice and call them up on really hot days and let them know your pool is open if they need to cool down some. A few dips in super clear, non-irritating, non-smelly water might set up some doubts.

If they ask if your water is green yet just tell them: NOPE! Going swimming today! Or, We swam ALL day and it was so nice! Or, I can see the floor of my perfectly sparkily clear pool from the bedroom window! :mrgreen: As long as you tell them how sparkily your pool is, nothing else matters. :cool: You will not convert them. I'd let them have at the green monster and SWEAT. :lol: That's what ya get for being a hardhead. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Neighbors the same way. They've had their "pool guy" in almost every other day in the last two weeks. Their pool has been un-swimmable for three weeks now.

We talked the other day and he tried to start the conversation with "what a horrible swim season it's been for everyone with the airborne algae blooms ruining everyone's water..." I smirked and told him I haven't had an un-swimmable day yet and the pool has been sparkling clear for weeks. I told him he's welcome to send his girls over to swim if they get too hot.

I could tell he wanted to ask me what pool service I was using or what magic chemical I was throwing in the water...but he just clenched his jaw a bit and said "no thanks" to my offer as his pool guy said his water would be perfect in the next day or so.....that was three days ago.

"But if it so bad for the pool why are they allowed to keep selling it?" I got that one time when someone asked me what tablets I used in my pool. (I was buying a new pool float so was in the pool stuff area of Walmart). When I told them I did not use tablets they told me my pool was gross! LOL I just walked away. It was not worth it.

Kim

We had a dead palm tree in our yard for 3 + years. My wife and I were talking about taking it out and of course I said I would do it. The other day the neighborhood tree guys were across the street removing a tree from the front yard of a house and my wife went over to talk to them about giving us an estimate of removing our tree. He came over and offered to take it out for "what we felt like giving him". I said how much exactly and he said "how's about 20 bucks?" I nearly fell over backwards as I said sure and when could he do it. He said he'd be over about 10 am the next day.

When he came over to remove the tree the next day, all he could talk about was how nice our pool looked. He said that he has seen almost every pool in the neighborhood and never has he seen a pool so sparkly clear. I just smiled.

Nope, aint gonna happen until they are either broke from lining the pocket of the pool store, or finally accept that their pool isnt nearly as clear or maintainable as it should be.

My best friend cannot believe my water is so clea and that I dont add a lot of chemicals and spend lots of $$ to keeep it that way. Told him I just add a little MA once a week and thats about it. Keeps telling me Im on the edge. Told him I'm not on the edge, I've jumped off of it!

I don't even bother. My friends and neighbors are set in their ways. Sometimes I casually ask, "What do you do to maintain your pool?" They always tell me about how they take a sample to the pool store every couple of weeks. One friend was impressed with the K2006 test kit when I brought it over and helped him clean up his pool before he added a new SWG. He bought the same kit on his own, and he understands the testing methods now.

Just let people do as they want, and I only offer advice if they ask.

I let people know we're here, and eventually if they get tired of spending money for green water they'll ask me. I've had one convert, and am in the process of bringing one or two more over from the dark side now. Last time I brought it up I got "Yeah, those guys are great. They come out. put who knows what in the pool, and clears it right up". I shook my head and gave up on the spot.

We had a dead palm tree in our yard for 3 + years. My wife and I were talking about taking it out and of course I said I would do it. The other day the neighborhood tree guys were across the street removing a tree from the front yard of a house and my wife went over to talk to them about giving us an estimate of removing our tree. He came over and offered to take it out for "what we felt like giving him". I said how much exactly and he said "how's about 20 bucks?" I nearly fell over backwards as I said sure and when could he do it. He said he'd be over about 10 am the next day.

When he came over to remove the tree the next day, all he could talk about was how nice our pool looked. He said that he has seen almost every pool in the neighborhood and never has he seen a pool so sparkly clear. I just smiled.

Wow! I have 2 (well one now as the other fell over) dead palm trees by my pool and got an estimate of over $1000 to remove them :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.