Trying to balance pool it’s not working

When you do FC testing, use a 10 ml water sample, one scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

You cannot read CYA below 20 with the test in the TF100 test kit.

CYA= above 9 below 30
How are you getting that result?
Has this pool had CYA in it in the past?

I suggest you add muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.2 (be sure to add enough to drop from 8 to 7.2, circulate pool for a half hour, test, and add more MA as necessary), put 20 ppm CYA in a sock and put in the skimmer, and start your SLAM Process. Assume your CYA is 30 ppm for FC/CYA Levels.
Test your FC and add liquid chlorine every couple hours. When FC starts to hold better, lengthen out your test/dose time. Try to do at least 3 or 4 times per day as a minimum.

I can’t figure out the signature thing my pool is 10,000 gallons it’s a Pentair 1.0 sf 1.25, I didn’t get the tf100 I got the 2006c my second post is using the 10 ml sample I have a little stabilizer a jug of muriatic acid and 3 jugs of chlorine

I added 9 cups of stabilizer a couple days ago when I started this post

The other guy said not to add cya and muriatic acid at the same time which should I do first and when should I do the other

I’ll have to read up on slam I don’t know what that is

I’m not sure how much muriatic acid to add because no matter how much I add it’s always the same result

A sock isn’t a pool term is it or should I take an actual sock fill it with how many cups is 20 ppm? I’m sorry this is all very new to me

OK -- how did you add the 9 cups of CYA? Issue is CYA is by weight, not volume. Can you guess how much you put in the pool by weight?

You can add CYA and acid at the same time. Sorry for that advice.

SLAM Process - Shock Level and Maintain. Do read the article.

Use PoolMath to see how much you need to add.

For instance, your 10000 gallon pool needs 72oz of muriatic acid to lower your pH from 8 to 7.2, with a TA of 280 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure if I’m reading the calculator right it’s saying 72 oz of muriatic acid which is 9 cups

Thanks for the signature thing

What do I put for targets on the calculator

9 cups I had translated to 2 lbs, the label said to put in 2 1/2 lbs to raise it to 30 ppm

Not sure if I’m reading the calculator right it’s saying 72 oz of muriatic acid which is 9 cups

Thanks for the signature thing

What do I put for targets on the calculator

9 cups I had translated to 2 lbs, the label said to put in 2 1/2 lbs to raise it to 30 ppm
  • Muriatic Acid (MA) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA) are different things
    • MA (liquid) = lowers PH (should be measured)
    • CYA (aka stabilizer) = Protects chlorine from UV/sun degradation

A single cartridge I added the stabilizer by pouring it down into the skimmer it was granulated I did this 2 days ago I’m not sure how to fill out this calculator aside from the information from my testing
Fill out the yellow portion on the bottom with your pool TYPE (this is a picture)

Fill out your pool's gallons AND the NOW column with your test results: (screenshot)
Change the Target amounts to Match within the GOAL suggestions

A single cartridge I added the stabilizer by pouring it down into the skimmer it was granulated I did this 2 days ago I’m not sure how to fill out this calculator aside from the information from my testing
Assume you have the 30 ppm CYA in the pool even though you cannot test it. It may take a week for it to fully dissolve. Test one week after adding the first CYA and then adjust, if necessary.

Is this right based on my readings or do I put in the ranges in the second box
Do not increase the CYA to 80 at this time ;)
FC = Now/1 Goal/5
PH = Now/8.0 Goal/7.2
TA= good for now (prob aim for 100 depending on how your PH steadies later on)
CH= Is your pool plaster/gunite/concrete? No need to raise CH if it is vinyl or fiberglass

Also in the yellow suggestions on the bottom, change it to TroubleFreePool.com :)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.