Trust the process (SLAM)

jonlee

May 9, 2019
Memphis
This is more of a don't get discouraged/lose hope post. I needed one over the past 7 days so I figured I'd make one. Not completely done but there is a light at the end of the tunnel or floor bottom through the cloudiness. To everyone who wants to throw their hands up after SLAMing for over a week don't do it. We can do this!

Attachments

• IMG_8544.jpg
    IMG_8544.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210503_100351.jpg
    20210503_100351.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 38
full

Reactions: jonlee
I do have a question if anyone can answer it and ease my concern. At what point do I need to start worrying about bleaching our liner? I am on day 10 of SLAM keeping FC at 20 (CYA 50) Im on my 21st gallon of bleach and its still cloudy. 21 gallons of bleach sounds terrible for the liner. Any thoughts? I don't want to drain just to get the CYA down to 30 to use less bleach. Iv heard of SLAMs taking weeks and weeks. Am I worrying too soon and overthinking it? :oops:

As long as your FC is at or below SLAM level FC, there is no threat to your liner from the chlorine.

Reactions: jonlee
A 4oz splash of 10% bleach in a 1 gallon bucket (a typical home cleaning solution - this is the ratio on the DHHS website) is 3000 FC. Even if we assume they're talking about 6%, that would still be 2000 FC.

In comparison, even SLAM level FC in a pool is peanuts compared to that.

While it feels like a lot dumping a "gallon of bleach" (oooh scary chemicals) into the pool, that's 0.005% of the volume of a 20,000 gallon pool, and 10% bleach is 90% water, so really it's only 0.0005% of bleach.

Mine looked like your first pic when we opened. Days of pounding the bleach I too was getting discouraged. But you’re sooo close. Keep it up - and once the FC holds, balancing out the rest will help with any lingering cloudiness. You got this!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.