Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I had a minor algae outbreak recently and sought advice on the SLAM process, as I had never done it before. Advice and support were fantastic and water was crystal clear after 24 hours and passed OCLT within 48 hours. In my post, I included my test results, specifically FC at 5ppm and CYA at 70. I noted that I had maintained these levels all summer, testing frequently, and that I had my SWCG dialed in to keep FC at the target of 5, per the chlorine/CYA chart. It was suggested to me that I should maintain FC at 9 to provide a buffer to the target and that by maintaining at 5ppm, I was flirting with the low end of the range. Interestingly, while there is a target range in the chart for non-SWCG, the chart for SWCG pools only shows minimum, target and SLAM levels, but no range.

So my question is, should I actually maintain FC at a rate higher than the target of 5ppm? Thanks for helping to clear this up for me.

Keep in mind every pool environment is different and the numbers are recommendations. Your pool‘s needs might be a little different.

I know our pool will start to get algae if I let it drop to the Minimum recommended number. So, I use the Target number as my Minimum and use a couple ppm above that as my Target. Using this practice I’ve never had an issue.

Reactions: jark87
jark,

In theory, if you maintain your FC between the target and minimum, you should be ok.. The problem is that sometimes life get in the way and the FC goes too low or maybe your CYA is higher than you think it is. If your target is 5, I see no reason to run 9, but there is no real downside in running on the high side.

I personally try to keep my pool at my target FC or higher.. By doing that, if life gets in the way, I am no where near my minimum..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.