Troubleshooting: Raypak pilot electrode corrosion?

hanesian

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 10, 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'd appreciate feedback on what appears to me to be a serious problem with my Raypak M206A series pool heater (roughly 7 years old based on the serial number).

When I opened the cover to light the pilot to fire up the heater for the first time this summer, a small fire appeared NOT at the proper pilot light position, but on the floor of the cabinet where the pilot electrode and high tension wire run. In other words, my attempt to light the pilot light instead created a small, albeit contained, flame on the cabinet floor.

Needless to say, I immediately stopped and turned off the gas line while I investigated. Here are a couple photos of what I'm trying to describe:

FullSizeRender%202_zpsrtyfhwpv.jpg

The red circle shows where the flame appeared, and upon inspection it's clear that the line itself has disintegrated or been chewed through.

The next photo simply shows that this line originates at the main box near the natural gas connection.

FullSizeRender_zpsdzw9uqwu.jpg

If it is just a matter of replacing what appears from the heater manual to be the pilot electrode and high tension wire, I will get that done, but I don't want to thrown good money after bad if this heater just needs to be replaced. Looking at that rust it sure looks older than 7 years old (and has the old style knob without temperature indicator other than shades or colors to indicate warmer or colder) but I can't be sure as I bought the house only 4 years ago.

I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Thanks!

If the floor pan of the heater has rust holes that allow you to poke all the way thru to the concrete pad underneath, hopefully there is one, then you need to seriously consider replacing the heater. When the bottom rusts out like that it can become a fire hazard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.