Trouble with Stabilizer

I've been doing the FAS-DPD test this whole time along with the OTO test as well. The FAS-DPD test is the number I am going off of. My kids only swam for about 30 mins yesterday, and I had to put in 2 gallons of chlorine to keep my levels at the recommended levels of 6ppm.

Last edited:
I've been doing the FAS-DPD test this whole time along with the OTO test as well. The FAS-DPD test is the number I am going off of. My kids only swam for about 30 mins yesterday, and I had to put in 2 gallons of chlorine to keep my levels at the recommended levels of 6ppm.
That’s good. Don’t do the OTO test anymore unless you just want to for “fun”.

Reactions: sedwards368
I redid the stabilizer test using the drop test out of the FT-100 kit. I reread the directions and followed them to the "T". Still says 50ppm. I am at a lose of what I am doing wrong? And Where all my stabilizer went?

You said you are using the drop test to check the stabilizer , are you sure you’re using the right test.

I redid the stabilizer test using the drop test out of the FT-100 kit. I reread the directions and followed them to the "T". Still says 50ppm. I am at a lose of what I am doing wrong? And Where all my stabilizer went?

You said you are using the drop test to check the stabilizer , are you sure you’re using the right test.
I ment the "dot" test. So yes. I am doing the correct test to test for stabilizer. Probably would have been best to refer to it by the correct name. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: rcerf
What is the status now? Are you still going through 2 gallons of liquid chlorine per day?
For the most part, yes. I added some algecide a few days ago. I vacuumed yesterday and there seemed to be quite a bit of dead yellow algea on the bottom of the pool. I add some phosphate free yesterday as well and of course chlorine . I checked levels this morning and was at 3 ppm and then tonight, I was at 2 ppm. So today is the first day I haven't had to add a bunch of chlorine. It's been rainy here all day. So not sure if levels were better because the sun wasn't out or because of the algecide and phosphate free that I put in. I also got a pool cover put on today which should help some hopefully.

For the most part, yes. I added some algecide a few days ago. I vacuumed yesterday and there seemed to be quite a bit of dead yellow algea on the bottom of the pool. I add some phosphate free yesterday as well and of course chlorine . I checked levels this morning and was at 3 ppm and then tonight, I was at 2 ppm. So today is the first day I haven't had to add a bunch of chlorine. It's been rainy here all day. So not sure if levels were better because the sun wasn't out or because of the algecide and phosphate free that I put in. I also got a pool cover put on today which should help some hopefully.
Algaecide caused me a lot of problems 3 years ago. Most are copper-based and copper is not something you want to add to your pool.

Have you read the Pool School article on Water Chemistry?

Algaecide caused me a lot of problems 3 years ago. Most are copper-based and copper is not something you want to add to your pool.

Have you read the Pool School article on Water Chemistry?

Yes. I read most of the pool school articles. I made sure to use a copper free algecide. :)
I only added a half gallon of chlorine yesterday and didn't have to add any today. That's a first time since we opened that I didn't have to add. It's been raining and cloudy for 2 days straight. So I am guessing it's the sun that is eating the chlorine. Once the sun comes put again, I should know for sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.