Trouble with new concrete patio. Is this an easy fix?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Hi everyone,

In the middle of the pool build and Tuesday they poured concrete. Typical concrete pour with nothing fancy. Everything looked great from afar, even told my PB so but today, on closer inspection I notice a few issues near the coping. A few rough areas and chipped out pieces in some pretty noticeable areas. I just discovered these and haven't spoke to my builder yet but wanted some insight on how big of a deal it is and how easy it may be to fix. Water is not in the pool yet I have to assume they are going to go around the rest of the coping and clean it up. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
I would be sad if I saw that. I really don't know how easy it will be to fix. Lets see what your PB has to say and we will go from there. I have a couple of concrete guys I can ping when you get back with what your PB says. :(

Spoke with the subcontractor today and he says he will fix it and still has to clean up the coping and surrounding area. I've noticed that I have a few rough spots on the patio which he claims will wear down as we start walking on them. He says it is the fiberglass mesh mixed within the concrete.

I was a little concerned as he asked me to sign the satisfaction form releasing his funds from my PB. Especially since I feel that he did not measure the sq ft. accurately. For the life of me, I can't see how he cam to the sq. ft # he did, about 200 sq ft more than what I got.

My PB will be coming over this evening to discuss.

Don't sign the release until he's fixed the issues. Once it's signed, he's gone for good!

Yes. I told him I didn't feel comfortable signing the release until I could confidently sign off on the release of funds. Which included him fixing the chip, cleaning the coping and any surrounding concrete left over.

The biggest issue was the discrepancy in sq. ft, almost 200 sq. ft. After I refused to sign, I texted my builder and requested another measurement with all of us present. I told him I wasn't trying to nickle and dime but this is a big difference. A few hours later I received a call from the concrete sub saying he miscalculated and he felt bad for the mistake. Curious if I signed off and overpaid if he would have felt bad enough to refund my money but I think I know the answer. Let this be a reminder to verify everything before signing off on anything. If it doesn't feel right, wait.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.