Trouble Replacing Vacuum-Lock Safety Wall Fitting

AidanDanner

Mar 9, 2021
Los Angeles
Thanks to all of you at TFP, two years ago I took ownership of maintaining my own pool, and the water's never been better. All the information and wisdom shared here is much appreciated.

I have what I hope is a quick and easy question. Our Hayward vacuum-lock safety wall fitting (a.k.a., pool vacuum hose connector) has broken. I have a Hayward replacement part (pic attached) and I need to remove the broken fitting and install the new one.

Simple enough, right? However, I'm having trouble removing the old fitting. It won't budge, and before I start clamping tools to it and using serious force and leverage, I thought I'd pause and ask for advice here. Might it be reverse threaded? Is a thread sealant typically used when installing? Is this fitting somehow wedded to the plumbing?

I've done work on my own cars, and have used WD-40 and MAP torches to loosen stuck bolts; are there equivalent tricks that work for PVC plumbing?

Thank you guys!

Attachments

• 71UARZ3l9WL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71UARZ3l9WL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, fittings can get pretty well stuck onto the 1-1/2” wall threads. Channel locks and a good amount of force. Best to do while IN THE POOL, not up on the deck. Better leverage that way.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Thanks to all of you at TFP, two years ago I took ownership of maintaining my own pool, and the water's never been better. All the information and wisdom shared here is much appreciated.

I have what I hope is a quick and easy question. Our Hayward vacuum-lock safety wall fitting (a.k.a., pool vacuum hose connector) has broken. I have a Hayward replacement part (pic attached) and I need to remove the broken fitting and install the new one.

Simple enough, right? However, I'm having trouble removing the old fitting. It won't budge, and before I start clamping tools to it and using serious force and leverage, I thought I'd pause and ask for advice here. Might it be reverse threaded? Is a thread sealant typically used when installing? Is this fitting somehow wedded to the plumbing?

I've done work on my own cars, and have used WD-40 and MAP torches to loosen stuck bolts; are there equivalent tricks that work for PVC plumbing?

Thank you guys!
It’s not reverse threaded.

Thank you guys!
Hopefully the tiny setscrew has been loosened. If you have to it is OK to use a hacksaw blade to cut a couple of slots in the remaining piece that is stuck. That can relieve the pressure on them and allow the part to come out (in pieces). You might actually get into the threads in the fitting in the wall a bit but that is not a problem. We don't worry about underwater leaks at those fittings (suction anyway). Or, using a long screwdriver as it is meant to be used, as a chisel, carefully break the fitting out. Have done it both ways with no problems.

Success! You guys gave the confidence to just give it a good torque with a pipe wrench, and that's all it needed. It broke free, came off easy, the replacement went on easy. I now again have an operational flap -- not just for safety purposes, but the little notch on the flap really helps keep the cleaner hose from pulling out.

I have in the past applied a very thin amount of silicone grease to the threads to keep them free from water incursion. What can happen is water gets pulled into the tiny space between threads and then fine particulate matter or scale forms. And that basically glues the threads together. Applying a thin (very very thin) layer of silicone grease excludes water from getting in there. After doing that, I’ve never had an issue with unthreading a fitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.