Trouble reading PH

Switched

Dec 25, 2019
Adelaide
Hi all,
Just did my first chemical test as a new pool owner. When I got in, found SWG running at 100%.
What I’m doing as the chlorine is high is turn SWG to 0% until FC is reduced, remove solar blanket during day and adding at night. Secondly I’ve added about 4kg of calcium but will wait until chlorine and PH is correct before addibg
More.

Free Chlorine 10
Other chlorine 1
Ph: 7.8
TA: 80
CH 250
CYA:30
Salt 4800

I’ve 8556AA18-8B9F-495F-A403-36F7778C1D10.jpeg added some acid to bring down the PH but having trouble reading measurement.
See attached - can you give me your thoughts as to what it is?

S,

I have never seen a pH test tube like the one you show.. I kind of like it..

Please tell us where you got it and the brand name..

I too find it difficult to pick the right color..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I also have a hard time determining PH levels in the 7.8 to 8.0 range. When in that range I do an acid demand test with just one drop of acid demand reagent. If the color appears to be in the low to mid 7s as it usually does then I believe the PH is 8.0 or lower and just on the cusp of needing adjustment. If that one drop indicates high 7s then I'll add acid. This seems to work for me.

Your signature indicates you have a Clear Choice Labs test kit and if so it probably doesn't include an acid demand reagent. I suspect that reagent is simple highly diluted acid and if so maybe you could mix some yourself if there's some documentation somewhere describing the method.

I also have a hard time determining PH levels in the 7.8 to 8.0 range. When in that range I do an acid demand test with just one drop of acid demand reagent. If the color appears to be in the low to mid 7s as it usually does then I believe the PH is 8.0 or lower and just on the cusp of needing adjustment. If that one drop indicates high 7s then I'll add acid. This seems to work for me.

Your signature indicates you have a Clear Choice Labs test kit and if so it probably doesn't include an acid demand reagent. I suspect that reagent is simple highly diluted acid and if so maybe you could mix some yourself if there's some documentation somewhere describing the method.
^
I do the same thing. I have the hardest time differentiating the color above 7.8

Pat,

I was hoping it was some brand that Clear labs just sells and not something they invented.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.
Fairly certain that Brett has those colour stickers printed for CCL. Honestly that tube looks good in theory but somewhat sucks in practice, might be ok if the bands stretched further around the tube.
the sample colour is not orange so it’s not low, it’s not pink so it’s not high.. I’d guess it was 7.6 but it’s a guess.
that tube is the reason I bought and promote the simple digital meter that can be calibrated.
cheers
phil

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like my Apera Instruments PH60. No guesswork, a straight digital readout. I calibrate about once a month but it's always pretty much right on. Minimal ritual of rinsing in distilled water and store wet in a storage solution. Stick it in the sample and go to the next test.

Thanks Everyone. Yep its the clear choice labs test kit.
OK it looks like the FC has dropped from 10 to 5.5 in the last two days now with pool cover off and SWG set to 0. CYA is actually less than 30, it could be 0 for all I know.
Sounds like the PH is still too high - tomorrow night I'll go ahead and add some more acid - I guess once I see it start to turn orange then I know we are closer to the mark.
In the meantime I'll research what an acid demand test is.
Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.