Trouble Raising Chlorine

Thanks you. I haven’t used oxysheen for over a month so I know my readings are good. I have been added liquid chlorine😀

ok. So I don’t have to SLaM? I can just add liquid chlorine to rapidly raise my chlorine to 6 or 7?
I have a SWG, and when I notice it's "not keeping up" (usually in the spring, as temps rise and days get longer and I'm adjusting for changing conditions) I boost with liquid chlorine and test frequently. I haven't had to do an actual SLAM. (knock wood.) So far I have always caught it early enough.
FC 6 or 7 would be low for my pool, and for yours if you have the recommended CYA level for a SWG. I boost to the low teens.

That’s what i was thinking..
Hopefully tonight you’ll have less drop after clearing out your water features today. Fingers crossed 4 u!
Rest up for the early morning test 😴
Still having a consistent 2-3ppm loss over night. Here is a question. When I clean my cartridge filter the insert that goes inside of the filter has an arrow that it says to point toward the inlet. Mine will not seat that way and the arrow does not point toward the inlet. Would this cause a problem? I would assume the filter will catch things regardless.

Sorry for your overnight loss ☹️
Here’s to hoping tonight will be the turn for u. :cheers:
I have to defer to others on the filter situation as I am a sand filter girl myself.

You can use the PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding) to help you with the amount of salt required to increase to a new target. But be sure to test your salt level with a good kit (i.e.. Taylor K-1766) and don't just take the cell's word for it. While the cell needs to sense a reasonable salt level, their accuracy can be off.

Your FC is definitely low, so increase with liquid chlorine right away. Your CC level is also elevated. You might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure algae isn't trying to grow.
So I am still dealing with this. Finally received my CYa reagent. I’ve done 3 drains and full down to the bottom of the skimmer and I’m now reading 60 CYA. I’ve used an insane amount of chlorine so far, all for nothing I’m afraid. I turned my SWG on today to try and help hold some chlorine. I suppose I’ll try to slam tonight. I’ve been at this for over a week and am shocked that I am still seeing OCLT. I’ve never looked so forward to pool closing so I can be done with this. 😬

Anymore hiding places u can think of? Un used ports etc? It’s gotta be somewhere consuming your chlorine. Some have even found algae in the foam of the weir door on the skimmer.

Anymore hiding places u can think of? Un used ports etc? It’s gotta be somewhere consuming your chlorine. Some have even found algae in the foam of the weir door on the skimmer.
I just stuck my camera down there to take some pictures and this is what I see. Also when you take the lid off of the skimmer there’s a lot of grossness in there that I Assume is from rainwater. I’ve got some cleaner sprayed on it so you’ll see a little film in my basket but I’m gonna clean all that out however that does not touch my water. What do you think about what you see in my weir doors?

Attachments

• 1A530AA6-44F1-4922-BA26-7B823344681C.jpeg
    1A530AA6-44F1-4922-BA26-7B823344681C.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9FB41989-FF53-4A13-AA8F-00E54C588796.jpeg
    9FB41989-FF53-4A13-AA8F-00E54C588796.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1217F817-FA34-4DAD-A0A2-12C7AA1CD900.jpeg
    1217F817-FA34-4DAD-A0A2-12C7AA1CD900.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 10
I just stuck my camera down there to take some pictures and this is what I see.
Very good! :goodjob: It's areas like that which cause FC problems. Without a doubt, algae will not survive in a properly chlorinated environment, so something has been amiss. Perhaps this is the start of changes to come. Now that you've confirmed your CYA at 60, you know to try and maintain the FC of 24 as best as you can. Hope that does the trick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very good! :goodjob: It's areas like that which cause FC problems. Without a doubt, algae will not survive in a properly chlorinated environment, so something has been amiss. Perhaps this is the start of changes to come. Now that you've confirmed your CYA at 60, you know to try and maintain the FC of 24 as best as you can. Hope that does the trick.
So is that algae? I just got done scrubbing this out. If it is algae it doesn’t seem like that much and I just would think that having chlorine at 20 would’ve taken care of this. But yes I’m paying close attention to the CYA chart for slam.

Is that a vanity plate on the front of your skimmer? If so maybe pop it off & give a look see behind it too.
Now what? Look at this. I cleaned the vanity plate. It’s good as new. I don’t know what to do about this and the foam.

Attachments

• 06A13C6D-E27A-4CF7-A1F1-36EDF94B43A2.jpeg
    06A13C6D-E27A-4CF7-A1F1-36EDF94B43A2.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 5
Now what? Look at this. I cleaned the vanity plate. It’s good as new. I don’t know what to do about this and the foam.
winner GIF

Ding ding! We have a winner!
remove the foam & soak it & the door in a 50/50 bleach water mix or spray it with clorox cleanup - scrub & rinse it wellllllll.
Replacement foam can be purchased as well.
This algea war is serious business- gotta get sneaky like it is!

winner GIF

Ding ding! We have a winner!
remove the foam & soak it & the door in a 50/50 bleach water mix or spray it with clorox cleanup - scrub & rinse it wellllllll.
Replacement foam can be purchased as well.
This algea war is serious business- gotta get sneaky like it is!
I don’t. Do you think this little bit is the culprit?

Ok. I’m frustrated. I’m adding exactly what the calculator shows, sometimes more, to reach SLAM level. I did so earlier this evening and retested but I’m slightly lower that SLAM level. Now, I either add more and have to wait an hour to retest Or don’t add more and I’ve wasted what I’ve put in so far since it didn’t reach SLAM level? If I’m not hitting that slam target is all of the chlorine I’ve been putting in for nothing?

If I’m not hitting that slam target is all of the chlorine I’ve been putting in for nothing?
No. As long as your FC is above the minimum level for your CYA, you are still killing algae. Just slower than if your FC is at SLAM level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.