Trouble Raising Chlorine

If cya reads anywhere between 70 & 80 you call it 80 & that’s a slam level of 31 ppm.
You can also do the diluted cya test to confirm your suspicion - Step 8👇

since your pool is clear it may not take long if u find the source/hiding place so long as u are indeed at slam level.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I’m so discouraged. I’ve added so much chlorine. I’m out of CYA solution and it won’t arrive until Sunday. I think my CYa was too high. I’ve drained and added water twice. Went back to the store for 8 more gallons of bleach. I feel like this is going no where and I want nothing more than to enjoy my pool this weekend. But I’m creeped out at the rate of chlorine loss. I think I’m doing this right but I’m not home during the day to keep a constant eye on it. Is that my problem?

I’m so discouraged. I’ve added so much chlorine. I’m out of CYA solution and it won’t arrive until Sunday. I think my CYa was too high. I’ve drained and added water twice. Went back to the store for 8 more gallons of bleach. I feel like this is going no where and I want nothing more than to enjoy my pool this weekend. But I’m creeped out at the rate of chlorine loss. I think I’m doing this right but I’m not home during the day to keep a constant eye on it. Is that my problem?
Also why do my pool logs show the log as 5 hours in the future??

Last edited by a moderator:
Have u searched the nooks & crannies? I can’t stress this enough. If you need guidance on how to access drains or light niches etc. we can help u.
I had a slam take several days longer than necessary because of an algae filled diver toy that I decided wasn’t necessary to remove or check.
I Removed it & passed my Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

It is perfectly safe to swim anywhere between min & slam level for your cya so long as u can see the bottom of the deep end. So don’t let it keep u from enjoying your pool. Maybe do a little brushing while you’re in there 😁
Try to get in as many doses each day as possible like upon waking then right before leaving for the day, as soon as u get home & right before bed then hit it hard on the weekend (every couple of hours).
Lowering cya definitely has some advantages like lower slam level & less drops of reagent to miscount. (Especially in the wee hours)
You’re in the pool owner Patience part now. You can do it! You’re only really on about day 4 - most SLAM Process take a week or so.Keep it up 👍🏻

Have u searched the nooks & crannies? I can’t stress this enough. If you need guidance on how to access drains or light niches etc. we can help u.
I had a slam take several days longer than necessary because of an algae filled diver toy that I decided wasn’t necessary to remove or check.
I Removed it & passed my Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

It is perfectly safe to swim anywhere between min & slam level for your cya so long as u can see the bottom of the deep end. So don’t let it keep u from enjoying your pool. Maybe do a little brushing while you’re in there 😁
Try to get in as many doses each day as possible like upon waking then right before leaving for the day, as soon as u get home & right before bed then hit it hard on the weekend (every couple of hours).
Lowering cya definitely has some advantages like lower slam level & less drops of reagent to miscount. (Especially in the wee hours)
You’re in the pool owner Patience part now. You can do it! You’re only really on about day 4 - most SLAM Process take a week or so.Keep it up 👍🏻
Ok. I don’t really have nooks and crannies. Out handrail does not go into the pool. We have two small LED lights. Two drains at the deep end. I e brushed it all. I will continue to do so. I’m going to go do a final test for the night in a bit. So even though I’ve been losing a ton of chlorine, this could still be working? I think my greatest fear is that I’ve been adding tons of chlorine that has been consumed but that I’m not getting it high enough to do anything.

Ok. I don’t really have nooks and crannies. Out handrail does not go into the pool. We have two small LED lights. Two drains at the deep end. I e brushed it all. I will continue to do so. I’m going to go do a final test for the night in a bit. So even though I’ve been losing a ton of chlorine, this could still be working? I think my greatest fear is that I’ve been adding tons of chlorine that has been consumed but that I’m not getting it high enough to do anything.
Also, we have laminars and a waterfall. In retrospect the waterfall was a horrible idea and we never turn it on. We have not had our laminar‘s on this season because they’re jumping and they’ve never come to service them so none of our water features have been running with the exception of I have a small bubbler on my tanning shelf I ran that over the weekend but I’ve hardly run it all this summer.

Attachments

• 403D03CF-2540-416B-B3E6-2FF0F10F7BA9.jpeg
    403D03CF-2540-416B-B3E6-2FF0F10F7BA9.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 6
Also, we have laminars and a waterfall. In retrospect the waterfall was a horrible idea and we never turn it on. We have not had our laminar‘s on this season because they’re jumping and they’ve never come to service them so none of our water features have been running with the exception of I have a small bubbler on my tanning shelf I ran that over the weekend but I’ve hardly run it all this summer.
U need to run slam water through all your water features. Stagnant water = algae haven

U need to run slam water through all your water features. Stagnant water = algae haven
Hmm. If we never turn them on there is stagnant water stuck somewhere? I figured if we weren’t running them that they couldn’t add any yuck to the water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm. If we never turn them on there is stagnant water stuck somewhere? I figured if we weren’t running them that they couldn’t add any yuck to the water

“Maintenance​

Water features require periodic maintenance. They should be run every few days to get chlorinated water in the lines and ensure that algae does not grow in them.”
Copied From this article 👇

Can you here my sighs? I really feel I’m not getting anywhere. I turned on laminars, waterfall and bubble for several hours today. Brushed. Pool looks amazing, and losing Chlorine still. How long can this take?
I am about out of chlorine and there’s none left in town.

Hard to tell with the time stamps but did you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test last night/this morning?
If not , do a proper one tonight. That will help u better gauge your fc loss from organics.
The loss today could easily be from the stagnant water features & the sun combined.
Also be sure to get a cya reading while it’s daylight out since you have replaced some water.
When u go way over slam level for your cya the fc loss from the sun can be higher unnecessarily. No need to waste bleach.
Here’s a handy tool to help u find liquid chlorine in your area 👇

Hard to tell with the time stamps but did you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test last night/this morning?
If not , do a proper one tonight. That will help u better gauge your fc loss from organics.
The loss today could easily be from the stagnant water features & the sun combined.
Also be sure to get a cya reading while it’s daylight out since you have replaced some water.
When u go way over slam level for your cya the fc loss from the sun can be higher unnecessarily. No need to waste bleach.
Here’s a handy tool to help u find liquid chlorine in your area 👇
Thank you. I am out of my CYA Reagent, so I’m having to use a test strip. Yuck, I know. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I have been doing OCLT for days. Not sure what you mean about my tests but I have been losing a lot of chlorine over night. I just took my test for this evening and will test about 6:30 tomorrow am. I might be adding excessive chlorine because im unsure of my CYa, but I know it started high.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am referring to this 👇
55EA25AF-9BDF-4666-B303-C18A478AB29A.jpeg
Just not sure if the time stamps accurate as an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is performed just after the sun goes down & right before the sun comes up so there is never any sun on the pool between the two tests & there are no doses inbetween.
This takes fc loss from the sun out of the equation & only leaves organics as the culprit for loss. A loss of 1ppm or less is acceptable/ passing. In the logs shown above u only lost 2.5 ppm in 10hrs & 1/2 of that time was during daylight hours.
There should be at least 6 hrs or so between the tests also. (So not like 1am -5am)
In the heat of the summer high fc levels can drop quickly from the sun.
Just trying to be sure we’re covering all the bases.

Last edited:
Do u have your zip code entered in the settings of poolmath? I see your last test but it’s in the future 😁
P.s.
you can edit times in previous log entries to get around this glitch in the matrix

I am referring to this 👇
View attachment 372415
Just not sure if the time stamps accurate as an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is performed just after the sun goes down & right before the sun comes up so there is never any sun on the pool between the two tests & there are no doses inbetween.
This takes fc loss from the sun out of the equation & only leaves organics as the culprit for loss. A loss of 1ppm or less is acceptable/ passing. In the logs shown above u only lost 2.5 ppm in 10hrs & 1/2 of that time was during daylight hours.
There should be at least 6 hrs or so between the tests also. (So not like 1am -5am)
In the heat of the summer high fc levels can drop quickly from the sun.
Just trying to be sure we’re covering all the bases.
The time stamps aren’t right. See pictures below.

Attachments

• DF8C4BEE-821B-4A3D-B9FF-AC1F2D31563E.png
    DF8C4BEE-821B-4A3D-B9FF-AC1F2D31563E.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5FDFAFC0-69C7-46FF-BBDD-C2D84BDE6242.png
    5FDFAFC0-69C7-46FF-BBDD-C2D84BDE6242.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mdragger88
That’s what i was thinking..
Hopefully tonight you’ll have less drop after clearing out your water features today. Fingers crossed 4 u!
Rest up for the early morning test 😴

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.