Trouble Passing OCLT

Susiejax

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2016
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Opened the pool mid April to a cloudy mess.
CYA was through the roof all last season, so we drained the bulk of the water, refilled with fresh city water, supplementing with well water.
Performed SLAM, water is now clear.
Some visible sediment collects on the bottom only, at the seams of the liner. Brushing, vacuuming, etc. throughout.
The OCLT is giving me fits, I just can’t seem to get the water to pass it.
Here are my numbers:

CYA 20 (Too low, will remedy)
FC 12.5
CC 1
PH 7.3 (recorded before SLAM)
TA 150
CH 270

I’ve been using bleach 8.25% to SLAM. I continually add it, have kept FC above 10. Haven’t added anything else.

Any idea why I lose about 2-2.5 FC overnight?

I do have an auto cover which I close overnight to keep animals out (no fence) but the pool remains open during the day, during the SLAM. Animals only swim at night, right? ;)

Any advice welcome, and thanks!

Hi,
I notice your CC is still 1, which means there is still algae somewhere which is causing it. You'll never pass the OCLT until the CC is .5 or less.

Keep the FC level at slam. A thought which comes to mind, is the area behind the pool light. If there is algae in there, it will give you fits, as experienced by many many SLAMMERS on this forum. Also, brush every nook and crannie of the pool surface.

Ive even seen the ringss around the returns have algae hiding behind them. And those white strips which fix your liner where you steps are will hide algae in there too.

It's safe for humans and animals both to swim with FC at at SLAM.

Thanks for the tips! We did replace the light when the pool was drained—it was a nightmare in the niche. Super gross! It was nice to get that all cleaned up. I’ll scrub away at the other nooks and seams. Wish me luck!

I know I've said this many times on the forum but the algae does indeed hide in seems around steps as well as just inside the skimmer box frame and I've seen it in the foam on the weir door. Yes my pool has gotten that bad. But.....what I do is give my kids a plastic kitchen brush and ask them to scrub those nooks and cranny when they are in the pool swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.