Trouble Maintaining FC Levels

Your pool will not pop out of the ground in Phoenix. You have no surface water table.
Is your insurance going to cover that advice? ;) Seriously though, that post is terrifying! If I did something like that my wife and kids would disown me.

@mknauss I am assuming you recommend starting to drain late afternoon to avoid the direct sunlight on the exposed plaster? Anything else I should be thinking about? Do I need to force one of by kids to stand there with a hose and keep the plaster wet/cool? I want to make sure I am not missing anything if I am going to do a drain and refill rather than an exchange.

The only time I see you needing to press the kids into service would be if direct sun was on the pool surface.

Your only other choice to a drain/refill is a reverse osmosis treatment. Most folks report that this is about $1,000 (it varies by cities where it's available), but those are generally larger pools. The RO will filter the CH and CYA out of the water.

I don't know these guys, but a phone call may not hurt

Reactions: iammikeb
The only time I see you needing to press the kids into service would be if direct sun was on the pool surface.

Your only other choice to a drain/refill is a reverse osmosis treatment. Most folks report that this is about $1,000 (it varies by cities where it's available), but those are generally larger pools. The RO will filter the CH and CYA out of the water.

I don't know these guys, but a phone call may not hurt

They have me a rough quote of about $550. A sump pump will cost me around $100. Trying to decide if the extra cost is worth the convenience and drinkable pool water.

They have me a rough quote of about $550. A sump pump will cost me around $100. Trying to decide if the extra cost is worth the convenience and drinkable pool water.
Well, your pool is about half the average - so that seems about right. RO will result in some water loss to teh process so you are not totally eliminating the hit to your water bill

RO will result in some water loss to teh process so you are not totally eliminating the hit to your water bill
Right! And I’m not sure what that added cost will be exactly. I’m leaning towards either the exchange method or the drain and fill. The drain and fill still scares me a little. The advantage of drain and fill over exchange is that it is quicker and potentially uses less water, correct?

Correct, a drain and fill will use less water unless you undershoot your goal and have to do it a second time. I don't know your water prices, but water is probably not a huge issue. A quick Google search just told me you have inexpensive water, so either way is probably not an issue.

The sump pump you buy for $100 will not pump out fast enough to do the drain and refill. So if you want to go that way, you will be doing an exchange. No issues with that, that is how I do my pool every 16-18 months.

I am looking at installing a water softener just for my pool. Next winters project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pump will get you about 5-7 gpm. Or 300-400 gph. With the larger hoses, maybe a bit more.
The rated gph is without any hose or backpressure.

That pump will get you about 5-7 gpm. Or 300-400 gph. With the larger hoses, maybe a bit more.
The rated gph is without any hose or backpressure.
I figured it would be much less than advertised once backpressure was added.

What about this? I know it's not ideal, but I once did a drain just below the tile line by running my vac hose out of the skimmer and down to the bottom of the deep end and just running a backwash (I don't have a multi-valve to do 'waste'). It seemed to work fine and my Pentair 3.5 HP held up well.

You can do that if you like. You are risking a $1000+ pump if you lose prime. But if you watch it very carefully, it will work. I personally will not do that.

I would not use that either. Once you drop below your skimmer, your chance of losing prime exponentially goes up.

Your water level drops further and further below the pump. Once you are 3 or 4 feet below the pump, the suction head needed to pull that water is getting higher and higher. Any small suction side leak path that might be OK at minor suction head may present itself at higher suction head. And then you lose prime.

I did a half drain in Phoenix 3 weeks ago when it was a bit cooler but it is doable. I rented the pump from home depot for $50. The thing moves water very quickly and they will give you free hose. I got 100 ft but he said I could get more for free. It drained my 18.5k gallon pool by 60% in about 2.5 hours. I was shocked how quickly it was moving. I then started filling at 10 pm and hit tile line by about 11 am the next morning with one hose.

If you start the drain at 7:30pm when the sunsets, you could have enough water off the pool by 9 pm I would estimate. Then start filling at 9 pm and you'd be at least to tile line by morning without any direct sunlight hitting the pool. It can be done. Also if you rent from home depot within 4 hours of close, you can return it first thing in the morning without penalty.

Your water level drops further and further below the pump. Once you are 3 or 4 feet below the pump, the suction head needed to pull that water is getting higher and higher. Any small suction side leak path that might be OK at minor suction head may present itself at higher suction head. And then you lose prime.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
I did a half drain in Phoenix 3 weeks ago when it was a bit cooler but it is doable. I rented the pump from home depot for $50. The thing moves water very quickly and they will give you free hose. I got 100 ft but he said I could get more for free. It drained my 18.5k gallon pool by 60% in about 2.5 hours. I was shocked how quickly it was moving. I then started filling at 10 pm and hit tile line by about 11 am the next morning with one hose.

If you start the drain at 7:30pm when the sunsets, you could have enough water off the pool by 9 pm I would estimate. Then start filling at 9 pm and you'd be at least to tile line by morning without any direct sunlight hitting the pool. It can be done. Also if you rent from home depot within 4 hours of close, you can return it first thing in the morning without penalty.
I think I will go this route and save a few dollars.

I will say it again, I am so glad I discovered TFP!

Reactions: tim5055 and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.