Trouble getting FC higher

captainstan

May 11, 2023
Omaha nebraska
I have been working on clearing out algae in my pool and so far the SLAM method has been doing great. That said the algae is close to clearing out (just had yet another major storm hit) but when testing my pool it is showing both FC and CC at .2. PH is at about 7.2 or maybe slightly lower but not by much so I'll be adding some bleach to get that up then shocking again. Just seems like I've been shocking the pool a ton lately and there's been no real increase in chlorine levels. I'm still pretty new to this so any advice is appreciated.

I have been working on clearing out algae in my pool and so far the SLAM method has been doing great. That said the algae is close to clearing out (just had yet another major storm hit) but when testing my pool it is showing both FC and CC at .2. PH is at about 7.2 or maybe slightly lower but not by much so I'll be adding some bleach to get that up then shocking again. Just seems like I've been shocking the pool a ton lately and there's been no real increase in chlorine levels. I'm still pretty new to this so any advice is appreciated.
Hi there and welcome! I assume you have the taylor FAS-DPD FC test? If so, use the 10ml sample that gives you resolution of 0.5ppm. Its way easier to do the math and plenty accurate.

Whats your CYA level? The amount of chlorine needed is dependent on the amount of CYA in the water.

Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing your pool water?

If you have a drop kit, like we recommend (link here-->Test Kits Compared), you can use 10mL sample of water and the FAS-DPD test, each drop is .5FC. This will save some reagent... .2 descrimination is not necessary.

To clear your pool, use the SLAM process. Link-->SLAM Process

Hi there and welcome! I assume you have the taylor FAS-DPD FC test? If so, use the 10ml sample that gives you resolution of 0.5ppm. Its way easier to do the math and plenty accurate.

Whats your CYA level? The amount of chlorine needed is dependent on the amount of CYA in the water.
You are correct in that I have a Taylor test kit. I will give the 10ml sample a try since I was going off of the 25. My CYA is between 50 and 60.

Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing your pool water?

If you have a drop kit, like we recommend (link here-->Test Kits Compared), you can use 10mL sample of water and the FAS-DPD test, each drop is .5FC. This will save some reagent... .2 descrimination is not necessary.

To clear your pool, use the SLAM process. Link-->SLAM Process
I will be using the 10ml sample as soon as I get a chance. I have been using the SLAM process and my pool looks a ton better, but because of really heavy rain (was in a tornado warning last night) fairly consistently over the past few weeks it's been hard to keep it balanced properly.