Trouble clearing water after opening. Questions

May 20, 2012
Hello, Been TFP since the beginning and have never had a problem at opening before. Pool is 8 years old and I'm original owner. We opened the pool on April 28th. I have been in SLAM since then. The water started a deep florescent green. I have corrected all chemical issues and my numbers this morning are pH 7.8, FC 19, CC 0.5, CYA 40. The water is blue, but still cloudy. I can see the bottom in both deep and shallow end, but obviously it's more difficulty to see the bottom in the deep end. I backwash regularly, brush several times a day and was finally able to get the vaccum done since I can now see the bottom. It's never taken this long to clear up.
My questions are
1. Am I missing something?
2. Continue SLAM
3. Could it be a filter problem? Ive never done anything with the Filter. Have a Heyward pro series model S310T2.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
Scott

Scott, have you ever done a deep clean of the sand? If you've had the filter 8 years and never done a deep clean, that could certainly help. As to the difference in SLAM completion of this year compared to years past, there's no way to know. It could be environmental factors, perhaps a difference in the chemicals, dosages, or way they were used at closing last year. But if the water is not yet clear, it would be best to continue with the SLAM at this point.

You might post a pic of your water though so we can see what it looks like today. The fact that it was a florescent green at opening is interesting.

Thanks for the reply. No, I've not done any cleaning of sand filter. Attached is the picture at open and two from today.

Attachments

• IMG-8577.jpg
    IMG-8577.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-8576.jpg
    IMG-8576.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-8444.JPG
    IMG-8444.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 21
Great job so far. :goodjob: I think you're right on the verge of breaking through. I suspect a deep clean will help tremendously after 8 years. I couldn't tell if you have a light with a niche behind it though. If so, I'd look there as well. Once the water warms up, remove the drain cover (if installed) and inspect inside there as well.

I would definitely do that deep clean. Some owners do it every spring. Based on how green that water was when you started, I think you're right on track. I'd maintain just a bit longer. You deserve to see crystal clear to the deep end.

Storms here today, so I’ll give that a try this week. Test numbers this morning are dead perfect SLAM numbers, still cloudy. :mad:
I have an aqua genie return system and I’m wondering if the return diffuser were put on upside down at open. I notice unusual ripples in the water. Would improper circulation contribute to my problem?

Some people use a floculant to get things to settle, iirc that cloudiness is dead algae(?). Other people say it isn't necessary. I would at least read up on it if you haven't done so. Way I look at it is if you add floculent, and organic matter settles you can vacuum to waste instead of clogging up your sand.

Pool is less cloudy today, still in SLAM since the water isn’t clear. Waiting on magic lube to clean the filter. I’ve thought about a flocculant, but have never used it and unsure about to. I vacuumed completely clean bottom and walls yesterday and have a return of what I vacuumed up. Looks like dirt or sand. Attached is my test results and picture from today.
9E37F56B-C083-4E6E-8FE5-113EF431ADB2.jpeg
47FEB461-043E-4BE9-B3AD-21C9908C564D.jpeg70F2C19B-36F2-4A1D-8BBF-99B257921896.jpegE2B5119E-146E-49A4-825E-7394F2B90172.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve thought about a flocculant, but have never used it and unsure about to.
Generally here we discourage it. In most cases anyways. Even if an owner remembers to vacuum to WASTE so it doesn't go in the filter, there are times where residual floc remains and still becomes a problem. In most cases, good filtration eventually takes care of dead algae or other suspended material.

That’s why I’ve never used it, from reading here. I’m getting frustrated. I’ve been in SLAM 13 days, zero CC, and would probably pass OCLT, as I’m barely adding any chlorine to maintain SLAM. Once I get the magic lube I’ll give the sand a cleaning, hopefully, that will do the trick. Don’t know what else to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.