Tristar 900 VS and Prologic

RSpear

May 24, 2017
London, Ontario
Does anybody have a good step by step for wiring and configuring these two units?

Per the manuals, my prologic software version is compatible but I get no response from the pump when terminals 2/3 are connected with A/B at the pump. I've also tried connecting 4 to the COM with no success.

I understand that once the pump does respond, it will go into a setup process for several minutes then there's some programming to be done at either the pump or control panel (or both). Could someone elaborate on that?

First, remove existing user interface wiring. Then, wire “A” on the pump to 2 on the prologic controller (top left where it says "Remote display") and “B” on the pump to 3 on the controller. Set all dip switches to off. Go into configuration and set pump type to variable speed.

My apologies, I'm just getting around to this now. We have been making do by walking out to the pump and turning the speed up manually for the past two years.

I tried what you said but I'm still getting a VSP filter error. I also tried connecting the green "com" line back in with no luck.
Any suggestions would be great. I'm pretty frustrated that I have a $1000 thermometer.

The TriStar VS 900 pump can communicate with and be controlled by Hayward pool controls such as OmniLogic™, ProLogic®, E-Command® 4, and OnCommand®.

Minimum software revision requirements: OmniLogic R1.0.0, ProLogic 3.00, OnCommand 1.00, E-Command 2.65, E-Command 4 2.80, AquaLogic 2.65, and AquaPlus 2.65.

Are all of the dip switches Off?

Did you go into Prologic configuration and change to variable speed pump?

Last edited:
Ok, my mistake.

Are all of the dip switches Off?

Did you go into Prologic configuration and change to variable speed pump?

Can you post a picture of the wiring in the pump and in prologic?

Earlier, I said to remove existing user interface wiring, but I don't think that that's necessary.

Last edited:
Pics attached.
I haven't changed any settings in the prologic. I'll check, although the previous pump was an ecostar, which I thought was variable speed as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20190520_175252.jpg
    IMG_20190520_175252.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190520_175220.jpg
    IMG_20190520_175220.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 36

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From what I can tell, you're doing everything correctly.

It might just be that the pump isn't communicating because it's not powered.

Try hitting the filter button to power the pump to see if that works.

I had a hard time last year with my ecostar. There was an update page I found online with some address settings for the different Hayward pumps. I had to set the address up on the pumps interface panel and then it communicated. I was stumped for a while too

I wired the pump directly from the breaker with and without the green comm wire attached.
Still got the error.

Next, I connected both the interface and data cable to the Rs485. Still nothing. Then I added the green wire of the data cable back to the system and the pump now fires up again and can be controlled via the remote. Although, it seems limited (I can't seem to set anything other than filter speed 1). The heater does not kick on when I increase filter 1's speed to 75 or 80% and there is still the VSP filter com error.
I'm going to leave it for a day as maybe there isn't enough pressure but up yet and try again.

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.