Tried Everything Pool Won't Clear

The issue is that the pool is set to filter, but it is pretty much just recirculating. Even my tank pressure is running around 6 psi which is too low, if the water was being filtered the pressure would be higher, around 10 psi.

My psi was around 10psi and barely moved so I thought maybe it was not filtering properly. I took TFPs advice and added a small amount of DE to my sand filter (according to the instructions on their link) and my psi increased to 22psi, so filter was working. I also learned that I was backwashing too much prior to adding the DE. I was not waiting for psi to get high enough. I was able to purchase a small bag of DE from Amazon.

I passed step 1 and 2 of the SLAM criteria, but was still having issue with cloudy water. I have a small leak in my pool so could not wait a few days for filter to remove the cloudiness on it's own. I finally added Floc, circulated for a couple of hours then turned pump off overnight. Water was crystal clear this morning with lots of dead algae on the pool floor. I just finished vacuuming to waste and was able to get a lot of it out. I am letting the water settle again and will vacuum later today. Hopefully will be able to find leak now that I can see the bottom of pool.

My pool was really green and after spending over $200 on chemicals from the pool store with no results after 2 weeks I came to TFP for help. Following SLAM instructions my pool went from green to blue in about 3 to 4 days.

Annettebjrd's post is why I was so hesitant to jump right to a filter issue at the beginning of this thread. It's a process of elimination that is best addressed from the chemistry side first because if there is algae present due to a chemical problem, there's no hope of diagnosing the filter issue properly.

I would try having them or yourself look at the spider gasket for issues before replacing the entire valve. Many times you can visually see a problem just looking at the spider gasket and it's a much less expensive fix than replacing the whole valve.

Ok so the pool store called and it is the spider gasket and something with the handle as well. So they could rebuild it for 85 or get me a new one for 120. I chose to get a new one for 120 and it will be here in 3 days.

Thanks for all the help.

Since your filter valve is out of commission, I'm guessing that you are not able to circulate water in your pool. I would brush a couple of times a day and maintaine your CL level so you don't end up with an alge bloom.

Joe, did you ever find out what the problem is? I've tried everything ... Floc, DE, etc. for 2 months but my water is still cloudy!

Hey there Thed, how about lets start a new thread and we'll be happy to help you diagnose your pool problems. Just click on the link that says "Start a new thread" and we'll go from there. :)

Thanks!.....and welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.