Sep 7, 2018
Haslet
Hello,

So I went to Leslie's just to double check my levels. The guy there was asking me how I take care of my pool. I told him that I generally test my water at home, use liquid chlorine and Muriatic acid occasionally to keep Ph in line. He asked me why I didn't use TriChlor. I told him that I don't want to deal with high levels of CYA. He proceeded to tell me that Leslie's TriChlor has very little CYA and most people don't have any problems using it. He said that you might have to do a partial drain every 3 years or so, but it's a good idea to do that anyway.
I left out of there thinking that the guy is full of it, but it sure would be nice if what he said could work. I think I know the answer, but is there any truth to what he's telling me?

He proceeded to tell me that Leslie's TriChlor has very little CYA and most people don't have any problems using it. He said that you might have to do a partial drain every 3 years or so, but it's a good idea to do that anyway.

Bob, I went to Leslie's earlier this week to compare chlorine prices (high by the way), and the clerk tried to tell me the stabilizer in their bags of shock lasts longer than others and that liquid chlorine burned-off faster than their other chlorine. Ugh. When they speak, 99% of the time you can just smile and leave. Stick with your own testing and TFP levels and you'll be much happier.

full

Reactions: Hootz
:laughblue:
No, there is zero truth in what he was telling you. Trichlor is a chemical compound, it always releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA (roughly). If it did not release 1.2 CYA with every 2 FC then it literally wouldn't be trichlor.

This is pretty basic chemistry that any pool professional should know. Knowing that, do you really trust them to give you accurate test results?

Hello,

So I went to Leslie's just to double check my levels. The guy there was asking me how I take care of my pool. I told him that I generally test my water at home, use liquid chlorine and Muriatic acid occasionally to keep Ph in line. He asked me why I didn't use TriChlor. I told him that I don't want to deal with high levels of CYA. He proceeded to tell me that Leslie's TriChlor has very little CYA and most people don't have any problems using it. He said that you might have to do a partial drain every 3 years or so, but it's a good idea to do that anyway.
I left out of there thinking that the guy is full of it, but it sure would be nice if what he said could work. I think I know the answer, but is there any truth to what he's telling me?

Bob,

Trichlor is trichlor. The molecule contains chlorine and cya in the same proportions regardless of who puts it in the container. Thanks so much for having the confidence in TFP to check this out. So many people don't know about this site and buy their way hook, line, and sinker 'till they've got a nasty pool and hundreds of $ less. I've heard so much stupidity from the PS it never ceases to amaze but this one does.

Again, glad to see you have the confidence to question the PS. Good for you!!

Chris

Bob,

The pool store guy was wrong on the amount of CYA that is released, but he was not so wrong on draining a pool when using Tabs.. If you like the idea of draining water every so often to keep your CYA in check, then there is no problem with using the tablets..

The key is to just that keep testing as you do now. Then when your CYA gets too high, you will have to drain some or all of your pool water. How long that takes depends on how many tablets you you use per week...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
No.

If you have 1000 gallons of water and add 1.5 ounces of trichlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA. If you have 25,000 gallons of water and add 36 ounces of trichlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA. If you have 500,000 gallons of water and add 46 lbs of trichlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA.

The ratio never changes. 5:3

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Donaldson, sorry to be picky but you answered my question by saying no, then using examples to show that it does depend on the quantity of water. Your original statement was that Trichlor is 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm cya. You did not say per 1000 gallons. Therefore my question about the quantity of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.