Trichlor/ Liquid chlorine: possibly hybrid approach?

Apr 16, 2017
Dallas, TX
I realize that this forum prefers liquid chlorine because of the cya side effects of Trichlor; however, I’m assuming most people in the US use the in-line trichlor (realizing that does not make it right).
Every person in my neighborhood has a pool company that comes and adds powder chlorine, and every pool builder we spoke to suggests the chlorinator.

<I have read several posts that don’t seem to address a ‘hybrid method’ even when several have asked, and have gotten responses with a (forgive me) ‘harsh’ tone. I’m starting to understand the concepts, but still...>

**Seriously- those of us that are often away from home (working or traveling), is there a way to have a hybrid method? Has anyone ever actually tried it? Or calculated the effects of __x number of tablets over x number of days, followed by x number of days with LQ, etc?

Maybe it’s not possible, but it seems that many people could benefit from a way to make it work. I know a pool is a lot of work, I have learned the hard way, but again, EVERY day is not doable for me nor for many others I know.

Understanding that the testing and ideas of proper chemistry is the most important, is there help on TFP for the majority of pool owners who care about their pool, but cannot add LQ every day or every week.

How and Why have all the ‘other folks’ pools survived??

I hope that people will chime in, I am ready to feel the pain, as I can already feel the stones being thrown.... :)

21,000 gallons (pool and spa), IG, pebble tec, filter: cartridge, pentair clean&clear plus CCP520, pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Pentair model 320 Rainbow auto chlorine inline feeder (3in 89% Trichlor tabs), Dallas,TX, built in 2016.NEW POOL OWNER
New TF-100 test kit: 6/1/18

All last summer, we used trichlor pucks and cal hypo shock. My CYA levels remained pretty constant all summer. It was a lot more expensive managing a pool like that.

I switched to LC this year and will use pucks in my autochlorinator if I'm out of town.

It is often recommended that once people get used to their pool and it's needs, they can use tablets as long as they keep a close eye on the CYA level. At the bottom of pool math is a thing that tells the effects of using diffent products. One of them is trichlor pucks.

understanding what your pool needs and feeding it what it needs is what TFP is about. Liquid chlorine has no side effects like trichlor, dichlor and cal hypo. If you cant be there to dose daily, you do need a way to keep the pool chlorinated. With that said, you also know the side effects of prolonged use of trichlor. There is no reason NOT to use a hybrid method as long as you know the side effects and are prepared to adjust accordingly.

I personally am very happy using a SWG. Great for the traveling pool owner.

No consideration for switching to a SWG?

As others have said, TFPC is really all about understanding what you're putting in your pool and using accurate test results to know what your pool needs. Methods that will work in one area of the country will not work in other areas of the country. But once you learn even a little bit of the chemistry, you are able to make an informed decision on how to maintain your pool.

I guess I will have to look in SWG? And Stenner?

My pool isn’t salt water so I thought that term was just for salt water pools.

If it is automated- I will need that.

21,000 gallons (pool and spa), IG, pebble tec, filter: cartridge, pentair clean&clear plus CCP520 (easy touch 2A), pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Pentair model 320 Rainbow auto chlorine inline (3in 89% Trichlor tabs), Dallas,TX, built in 2015.NEW POOL OWNER
New TF-100 test kit: 6/1/18- switching to LQ

Lots of folks here use pucks when traveling. The only thing TFP frowns on is chucking stuff in without knowing what it is and what it will do. Pucks definitely have a place, as long as you understand the effects and have planned it so that you don’t end up with a mess due to uncontrollable CYA.

A lot of pools are unsafe, a lot of pools are cloudy, a lot of pools have algae blooms multiple times a year, a lot of pools get drained all the time, a lot of pools spend a lot if money at a pool store, a lot of pools have copper in them, a lot of pools......

My pool isn’t salt water so I thought that term was just for salt water pools.
There is nothing unique to a particular pool construction to make it "salt water". You install a salt water chlorine generator on the return pipe going back to your pool from the filter and add salt at the proper level to the pool. You now have a salt water pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is nothing unique to a particular pool construction to make it "salt water". You install a salt water chlorine generator on the return pipe going back to your pool from the filter and add salt at the proper level to the pool. You now have a salt water pool.

Just as easy as adding the swcg and adding salt to your pool :D

What are the downsides of SWCG?

I used pucks as part of my normal pool tool kit (I say used because I switched to SWG this season)

I would start the season with my CYA on the low side of where it should be. Normally I used bleach. Whenever I went away on business or vacation, a floater with pucks would go in the pool. By the end of the season, my CYA would be at or slightly over where it should be. When closing the pool I would drain it down a few inches, and when I added water when I opened it, the CYA was back down.

Pucks have a use, if you know their impact on your pool chemistry.

-dave

Not a darn thing, as far as I am concerned!

Others would say initial cost and battling PH rising.

Initial cost is the only reason I haven't done it. Once you bite the bullet and do it there will be little to no cost to run your pool each year and then 3 to 5 years in you will need to replace your cell. That will cost roughly the same as what you would have spent for chlorine over those 3 to 5 years so it's more or less a wash cost wise but waaaaaay more convenient.

Just to clarify the salt itself doesn't do anything to sanitize the pool. The Salt Water Chlorine Generator converts the salt to chlorine and then when it is used it returns to salt (I'm clearly not a chemist but the concept is correct).

They are clearly the way to go to make life easier. The only other tip I have is to oversize it - for a 20,000 gallon pool buy one sized for 40K.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.