Trichlor in skimmer bad?

bboehm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2007
Cary, IL
I fill from well water which is very high in iron. To reduce iron, I typically fill my pool through the skimmer and place 1" chlorine tablets in the skimmer to release the iron and filter it out. Now the only tablets I can find are tri-chlor and I've heard it may not be recommended to put trichlor in the skimmer due to high acidity. If I'm only placing a small amount in the skimmer for purpose of filling the pool, is it still not recommended? Is the acidity bad for the pump/heater?

Oddly, the trichlor is acidic so I would think that would inhibit the iron from precipitating. A Cal Hypo tablet would work as that is basic, not acidic.

The acidity is quite harsh on the pump and heater. As long as you never turn the pump off with the tablet in the skimmer, it is less an issue.

Oddly, the trichlor is acidic so I would think that would inhibit the iron from precipitating. A Cal Hypo tablet would work as that is basic, not acidic.

The acidity is quite harsh on the pump and heater. As long as you never turn the pump off with the tablet in the skimmer, it is less an issue.
Thank you! Yes, Cal Hypo tabs are what I have been using in the past but unfortunately I can't find them anywhere. Nevertheless, I'll take the Tri-Chlor tabs back as I certainly don't want to inhibit the iron from precipitating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.