Maricopa, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I recently noticed a root from one of the trees behind the pool growing alongside and under the decking. I had part of the root cut off near the top of the deck that was closer to the tree. I didn't realize the root traveled further down the walkway. The landscaper I hired never told me it went further. Do you think I need to have the deck ripped up or can I have someone rip out the root, hopefully without destroying that part of the deck. I hate to even think about how much it would cost to get rid of the tree. :oops:

IMG_20200619_102720.jpg
IMG_20200709_175946.jpgIMG_20200709_175933.jpg

Pull out your small folding limb saw and cut that root clean through somewhere between your deck and the tree trunk.
It looks like those trees are still young(ish) so be on the lookout for more roots.
You may want to put some drip emitters under those trees, well away from your pool deck.

Reactions: aztony
Oly is spot on. The roots are going to where the water is. Under the decking it stays wet for longer periods of time.
Put in 3 two gallon emitters in a circle 4ft out from the base of the tree. By doing this, it will water the trees better during the heat of the summer, and keep the “searching” roots under control. :cheers:

Thanks for the advice.

I don't have a folding tree limb saw. I do have an electric limb saw for limbs higher up. I guess I could use that or buy the one you suggested. I already had the root cut up closer to the end of the deck. The landscaper never mentioned the root ran further along the deck.

The tree already has a drip system right under it. There's really no water for the root to find along the deck especially being I live in the Phoenix area. I was thinking of having a tree service come out and see what they think. If the tree needs to go or not. I was told it's a Sisso tree and their roots grow all over, not good near a pool. The tree is about 9 years old.

Pool deck edges like road edges are great places for plant roots because they are drip edges. Water from rainfall or splash out from the pool will run off and collect in the soil at the drop edge.

I did some research on your Sissoo tree ........yikes. "most of the problems begin when homeowners decide they want to cut down a Sissoo. “Usually when you cut down a tree, it will be gone, but not Sissoos. After the tree is cut down, they don’t just send up volumes of sprouts from the cut stump like some other trees do. They send up shoots from every root that remains in the soil, creating an unwanted forest of trees sometimes 100 feet from the stump."
Plants: Out of Control

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.