Tree hit my pool. Very little damage but looking for advice.

Trick

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Waterford, MI
Ice storm last Sunday dropped the top 3rd of my neighbors tree and it hit my pool. It doesn't look like much damage, but it is damaged. The pool is only 3 yrs old and I'm bummed cause it was a nice pool.

It's damaged in 3 spots. 1st is a 2' area that is creased and pushed the pool wall in about 6". I popped it out easily, but its still creased. The 2nd spot is near the top of the wall at the rail, the wall and j channel get wavy and kinda crunched down. 3rd a slightly bent post tie and post cap.

After talking with the place I purchased the pool, it was explained to me how the galvanized pool wall being creased damages the integrity of the galvanized & the outer coating. The damage can lead to rust and the pool wall won't last as long. This would mean, taking the pool down and replacing, the wall & liner, and re installing. Including the existing center drain work required when replacing the liner. I'm going to guess this is $3000 to replace, but I don't have an estimate yet.

My deductible is $1000.

What's the opinion on this damage and should we get it replaced/repaired?

Additional question about insurance. I never made a claim before and I'm not sure if this is a type of fraud or not. With insurance can we make a claim, and not repair the pool? I would think then at least I'm paid for the damages and if the wall fails down the road I have all ready been paid and can replace then? Sounds reasonable to me but I can see where insurance company could have an issue.

Here is a video and some pics....
Tree branch hit my pool rail. Very little damage. - YouTube

obFuPSd.jpg

vLqtlb4.jpg

Just my opinion but I really doubt that the galvanized layer was damaged enough to make it rust out any time soon. Since the dent was over many inches, the metal wasn't bent enough at any point to break the galvanized surface. Since the paint on the exterior of the wall looks to be fine and not split or cracking, the interior would likely have survived too. I could be wrong but I judge this by the pics and video. When the day comes that you replace the liner you can address any rust issues easily. Worst case, you can just add a small patch of sheet metal if needed after smoothing out the dent even more. Add 1/8" wall foam and you will never know it's there. The biggest issue could be damage to the top of the liner at the bead but I can't see that. Just be sure that the liner bead is still secured at the top.

I have an AGP with unknown age but I'm guessing it to be 20+ years. 8 years ago I replaced my liner after buying the house and discovered 100+ rust holes under 1/8" in diam. all near the bottom of the wall. I treated the holes with paint and NP-1 caulking before adding another layer of 24 ga. unfinished G-90 galvanized sheet metal just for overkill to the bottom half (24") of the wall.

I don't recommend paying out a $1,000 deductible for this damage unless that dent keeps you up at night.

As far as the deductible goes, you said it was your neighbor's tree. So it'd be his responsibility in my opinion.

As far as the deductible goes, you said it was your neighbor's tree. So it'd be his responsibility in my opinion.

He is still responsible for making a claim even though it was his neighbors tree. His neighbors insurance company is not responsible for damage.

On a side note, even though this would be his first claim as he states, it would be wise to save making a claim for a larger amount unless he feels lucky. Insurance companies don't like paying claims too often and might penalize for too frequent claims. Once every 8 to 10 years would likely not cause problems with rate increase but once every 3 years or so could be bad news. If next year for instance another tree falls on his house,the insurance company will pay for removing the tree and all debris clean up, fix his house and make everything right but he would likely end up paying more in rates and the company would see him as a risk. Even though weather damage isn't as risky as other claims like dog bites, some companies may not be as lenient as you think. It shouldn't hurt to talk to the agent and get his advice...but you never know.

He is still responsible for making a claim even though it was his neighbors tree. His neighbors insurance company is not responsible for damage.

On a side note, even though this would be his first claim as he states, it would be wise to save making a claim for a larger amount unless he feels lucky. Insurance companies don't like paying claims too often and might penalize for too frequent claims. Once every 8 to 10 years would likely not cause problems with rate increase but once every 3 years or so could be bad news. If next year for instance another tree falls on his house,the insurance company will pay for removing the tree and all debris clean up, fix his house and make everything right but he would likely end up paying more in rates and the company would see him as a risk. Even though weather damage isn't as risky as other claims like dog bites, some companies may not be as lenient as you think. It shouldn't hurt to talk to the agent and get his advice...but you never know.

The neighbors has more trees, his whole yard is overgrown trees, unfortunately they are all healthy, never trimmed and 50+ feet tall. Lol, It would be a good bet this is going to happen again. I almost feel like I have to pay to get the neighbors trees removed or else I'm going to pay the same amount myself with $1000 deductibles and insurance rate increases. FML.

I would not use insurance for it. They do not always play nice when you make claims. When you can stand to get in the pool you can push that area out more. I would have someone on the outside while you are on the inside and work on it together.

Can you talk to your neighbor? Have you told them what happened? See if they will pony up some $$ to put aside for later. Not sure if it would be worth while if you are not on very good terms with them though.

Like Dance says....I don't see any thing that says there will be rust down the road.

I really don't know the neighbors. The live behind us and there is a privacy fence. Only time I spoke with them is when my tree trimmer trimmed their trees that crossed over onto my property line. They kinda watched and seemed concerned about their overgrown trees being trimmed. Then the husband asked about the price and said his yard was a mess and needed trees removed. They don't come outside much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.