Treat rock bubbler water to stop horseflies

Lucanjo

Gold Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Bel Air, MD
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to open the pool next week and fixed up my rock bubbler this week. We had issues with horseflies last year and after doing some reading they like to lay eggs in wet rocky areas. I have a rock bubbler that recycles water from a hidden basin under some river rock near the pool (sounds like I unintentionally built a perfect breeding ground for them). Has anyone found any products to either treat the water or spray the area down to kill these things before they start showing up later this season? As an added complication, the birds love to come by and bathe and drink the water coming out of the bubbler so if there is an option for something that doesn't harm them it would be ideal however my 5 year old not being terrified of going in the backyard after one of them bit her is the priority.

That's a tough one .... you like the birds but not the dragonflies.

Some folks add Borates to their water and say it lessens the attraction to bugs. I've never used them. But animals should NOT drink this water (dogs, etc). Perhaps you could set out a bird bath will a fountain if you do try borates.

Other than that ...I got nuffin'.

Reactions: Lucanjo

Some folks add Borates to their water and say it lessens the attraction to bugs. I've never used them. But animals should NOT drink this water (dogs, etc). Perhaps you could set out a bird bath will a fountain if you do try borates.

Thanks, sounds like Boric Acid

Thanks, sounds like Borates might be a decent choice for the bubbler. Found an article online that states "Boric acid is practically non-toxic to birds." And it sounds like a lot of people actually add boric acid to bird baths. I'll keep it at the recommended levels and keep the dog away (he never bothers with the bubbler anyway - too excided to hang on the tanning ledge). Anyone know of any insecticides that works on horse flies that I can use elsewhere in the yard? I already use fly traps that catch thousands of bugs but not sure how effective they are against horse flies. Thanks again.

Permethrin comes to my mind.
Non toxic to dogs, but cats are another matter. It is the active ingredient in a lot of dog dips.
It is used to control fleas ticks, ants and biting flies.

Reactions: Lucanjo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.