Treading water until some supplies arrive

bjaspan

Mar 12, 2021
Boston, MA
It's going to be 90+ degrees starting tomorrow (apparently country-wide!). I'd like to try to set up our 12' diameter (~1,500 gallon) EasySet pool tomorrow (Saturday) for the first time, so my kids can use it. I'll be picking up most of the supplies I need at Walmart in the morning, but my test kit won't arrive until Sunday evening and CYA won't arrive until next Friday.

Questions:

* How long can the pool go with new garden-hose water and no treatment at all? In past summers we've had a kiddie pool and I dumped the water every few days. If the EasySet goes 2-3 days before I treat it, will I be able to recover given the wimpy pump and filter that came with this pool? I'd rather not have to start over, though it is only $30 worth of water if I have to.

* Is there an amount of chlorine and pH reducer or increaser I can add that will definitely be safe and also keep the water happy enough until the test kit arrives on Sunday and the CYA arrives on Friday?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The link below is perfect for your situation. It answers just about every question you asked and more. No stabilizer is quite significant. Sounds like you ordered CYA online huh? I get mine at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. If your neighbor has some, I'd get it. The chlorine will disappear in an hour or so with no CYA.

1. Probably a week or less. Maybe only 1 or 2 days.

2. Use PoolMath to figure out how much CYA to add, then start adding liquid chlorine to 5 ppm, calculated by pool math. Your chlorine with disappear within a day without CYA.

I get my CYA at Wal-Mart. If they don't have it, Home Depot generally does, along with chlorine. You can also use Regular bleach, with no additives and no Clorox products. It's about 5 to 6%.

it must be June in Boston.
Ha ha. Then I'd walk next door with a cheap bottle of wine and borrow some CYA. :)

Channel 9 Please GIF by The Block

This was the scene at the Foxboro location last night. Had to snap a couple of photos because I suggested that my friend could buy liquid chlorine there. She came home frustrated because all they had was liquid shock. LOL. I set her straight.

PXL_20210614_223741375.MP_copy_1512x2016.jpgPXL_20210614_223803786.MP_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Reactions: Snoobug
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.