Travertine pool deck question

otie84

Oct 27, 2022
California
Anyone have any thoughts on having travertine pool deck without bullnose? our PB currently has our build with travertine straight to edge of pool without bullnose. Do you feel this is a big deal with leaving the edges sharper? Our pool will be rectangle shape without corners, but still has us wondering here.

I would suggest sitting on the edge of a piece of travertine that is going to be used on your pool edge and see If you are comfortable with it. Their is a big difference in the radius edge of bullnose and the edge of travertine. Only you can make the correct decision by personally knowing the feel of both products.

I went travertine bullnosed for ours, but have seen it equally both ways. Personal preference. If you do go bullnose, use the finished-edge coping. While they can free-hand grind bullnose on site, it does not come out as nice.

Our bluestone coping had a square edge. I created an eased edge with a grinder. It looks almost professional. It resulted in about a 1/8" section of a 45 degree angle - I did not try to round it. Visible here as the shiny section on the edge. My takeaway was that edge I created made a noticeable difference to the back of the thighs while sitting on it, or rubbing against it. Though it's clearly nothing like a bullnose would be.

Ours is strait edge but the edges are eased a bit so it is not sharp. I personally like the look better. When I see bullnose it makes me think of a public pool. I think it is going to hurt if you hit your head against either so probably just personal preference. IMG_4119.jpeg

Ours is strait edged and I don't notice a difference when leaning against in comparison to a friend who has the bull nose edge. I really like the look but wish I would have had the eased edge done. I have a few small chips in some of my steps which could probably have been avoided with the eased edge.

IMG_0124.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.